Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis_B Dennis_B is offline

Default Another Toilet Flange Question

Dennis_B had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...on-320783-.htm
:
Thank you Paul. This was exactly the answer I was wanting to hear.

Cheers,
Dennis

-------------------------------------
Paul Franklin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:03:50 GMT,
(Dennis_B) wrote:

Hi,

I am having some tile installed in a bathroom tomorrow. The
existing
floor is vinyl, so the floor will be raised about a quarter inch
from it's
present location.

To save a little money, I said that I would remove the toilet
myself as I
have done a few times before. However, when I got to the floor
flange
(PVC), I realized that it was not screwed down, but rather it was
glued
onto the PVC pipe. Now I am stuck. The house is on a slab, so
there is
no going underneath it to cut the pipe and patch it. I do not have
time to
bust out 4" deep hole in the concrete and replace it.

Would it be wise to cut off the outer part of the existing flange,
and
then add a new one inside the old one? The PVC pipe is 4".
The existing
flange is inside the pipe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

No need to remove the flange. They will tile up to it. It will all

be covered by the toilet. 1/4 extra height shouldn't be a problem,
but if it is, you can use a deep wax ring or two conventional ones
(one on top of the other) to make a good seal.

HTH,

Paul F.

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/