beekay

Default Toilet flange question

Hi,

We are in the middle of changing the toilet, and found not only wax around
the flange, but a soft metallic-like material - almost like solder - that is
layered on top of the flange, and follows the contours of the flange into
the drain for an inch or two. The flange is obviously a separate object.
We are removing the extra material, but wonder what it is. The house is a
50's vintage ranch, but none of the books or web sites we have looked at say
anything about this extra layer.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Tocapet

What you are seeing is actually a component of solder. It's lead. In the
'50s plumbers used lead to seal the flange to the pipe. They melted the
lead in a pot, and then poured it around and into the joint, which was also
packed with jute. (Lotta plumbers got lead poisoning working with it!) The
best way to handle it is to leave it there and just replace the wax ring
under the bowl. It's stronger than the plastic flanges they use now! Don't
tighten the bolts too tight and break the flange, or you will have to
replace it.

Nowadays it can be difficult to find a plumber who knows how to "wipe lead".

"beekay" wrote in message
Hi,

We are in the middle of changing the toilet, and found not only wax around
the flange, but a soft metallic-like material - almost like solder - that
is
layered on top of the flange, and follows the contours of the flange into
the drain for an inch or two. The flange is obviously a separate object.
We are removing the extra material, but wonder what it is. The house is a
50's vintage ranch, but none of the books or web sites we have looked at
say
anything about this extra layer.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Speedy Jim

beekay wrote:
Hi,

We are in the middle of changing the toilet, and found not only wax around
the flange, but a soft metallic-like material - almost like solder - that is
layered on top of the flange, and follows the contours of the flange into
the drain for an inch or two. The flange is obviously a separate object.
We are removing the extra material, but wonder what it is. The house is a
50's vintage ranch, but none of the books or web sites we have looked at say
anything about this extra layer.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

It's also possible that the flange is soldered to a "lead bend".
If you have access below (basement), have a look.
It was extremely common in the 50's and before to use a preformed
length of 4" lead pipe that had a 90 deg bend upward thru the floor.
The lead was then bent over the inside of the flange and soldered
to the brass.

If the thing is still in good condition, LEAVE it alone!

Jim
beekay

Thanks. We did decide to leave it after fussing with it for a while.
Hopefully, it isn't damaged. None of the books or web sites we visited
mentioned this, yet it doesn't sound like it's all that unusual.

Search terms: toilet, flange, lead, solder, wax.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
beekay wrote:
[...]

Terry

"beekay" wrote in message
Thanks. We did decide to leave it after fussing with it for a while.
Hopefully, it isn't damaged. None of the books or web sites we visited
mentioned this, yet it doesn't sound like it's all that unusual.

Search terms: toilet, flange, lead, solder, wax.

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

If the wax seal has worked well in the past I guess you should stick with
that method!
But will mention that we used a reusable spongy a rubber toilet seal ring.
About three to four dollars.
This was very useful with a only single toilet in the house because it was
necessary to remove and replace the toilet several times while rebuilding
the bathroom.
We keep a spare wax seal in the vanity under the sink just in case but have
never needed it.

Stormin Mormon

It's probably the lead version of the plastic cone that lines up hte toilet
with the soil pipe.

Good idea to remove it. Dont tell the EPA, or they will make you tear down
the entire house and send it redbag waste. You'll be wearing the same
underwear for six weeks.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank