Tocapet

What you are seeing is actually a component of solder. It's lead. In the
'50s plumbers used lead to seal the flange to the pipe. They melted the
lead in a pot, and then poured it around and into the joint, which was also
packed with jute. (Lotta plumbers got lead poisoning working with it!) The
best way to handle it is to leave it there and just replace the wax ring
under the bowl. It's stronger than the plastic flanges they use now! Don't
tighten the bolts too tight and break the flange, or you will have to
replace it.

Nowadays it can be difficult to find a plumber who knows how to "wipe lead".

"beekay" wrote in message
Hi,

We are in the middle of changing the toilet, and found not only wax around
the flange, but a soft metallic-like material - almost like solder - that
is
layered on top of the flange, and follows the contours of the flange into
the drain for an inch or two. The flange is obviously a separate object.
We are removing the extra material, but wonder what it is. The house is a
50's vintage ranch, but none of the books or web sites we have looked at
say
anything about this extra layer.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville