Speedy Jim

beekay wrote:
Hi,

We are in the middle of changing the toilet, and found not only wax around
the flange, but a soft metallic-like material - almost like solder - that is
layered on top of the flange, and follows the contours of the flange into
the drain for an inch or two. The flange is obviously a separate object.
We are removing the extra material, but wonder what it is. The house is a
50's vintage ranch, but none of the books or web sites we have looked at say
anything about this extra layer.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

It's also possible that the flange is soldered to a "lead bend".
If you have access below (basement), have a look.
It was extremely common in the 50's and before to use a preformed
length of 4" lead pipe that had a 90 deg bend upward thru the floor.
The lead was then bent over the inside of the flange and soldered
to the brass.

If the thing is still in good condition, LEAVE it alone!

Jim