Posted to alt.home.repair

Default baseman flooding...

The water heater (boiler) started leaking water... We noticed the
flooding (it was just partial, 40% of a 4m.x6m baseman, partly
carpeted. We managed to take the water out, and sucked the water from
the rug using news papers (tons of it)

Now the carpet is almost dry, but still some areas are wet.

My question, at this point is:

1-Should I keep the de-humidifier on (It has been for three days)
2-Or should I put fans towards the wet areas and open the windows
(humidity outside is terrible -I live near Lake Ontario, Canada-, and
I am concern the humidity will make things worse.
3-Should I ripp (excuse my English) or pull out the old rug (is where
the humidity is more accute)...
4-If I don't see mold, am I ok?

Thanks!!!!

Botticelli
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 1:06*pm, Botticeli wrote:
The water heater (boiler) started leaking water... We noticed the
flooding (it was just partial, 40% of a 4m.x6m baseman, partly
carpeted. We managed to take the water out, and sucked the water from
the rug using news papers (tons of it)

Now the carpet is almost dry, but still some areas are wet.

My question, at this point is:

1-Should I keep the de-humidifier on (It has been for three days)
2-Or should I put fans towards the wet areas and open the windows
(humidity outside is terrible -I live near Lake Ontario, Canada-, and
I am concern the humidity will make things worse.
3-Should I ripp (excuse my English) or pull out the old rug (is where
the humidity is more accute)...
4-If I don't see mold, am I ok?

Thanks!!!!

Botticelli

I forgot to ask for advice regarding the old carpet. Can I just remove
it? should I use a mask? or it has to be done by profesionales?

thanks once more!!

Botticelli
Posted to alt.home.repair

Which baseman? First, second, or third? :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default basement flooding...

"Botticeli" wrote in message
The water heater (boiler) started leaking water... We noticed the
flooding (it was just partial, 40% of a 4m.x6m baseman, partly
carpeted. We managed to take the water out, and sucked the water from
the rug using news papers (tons of it)

Now the carpet is almost dry, but still some areas are wet.

My question, at this point is:

1-Should I keep the de-humidifier on (It has been for three days)
2-Or should I put fans towards the wet areas and open the windows
(humidity outside is terrible -I live near Lake Ontario, Canada-, and
I am concern the humidity will make things worse.
3-Should I ripp (excuse my English) or pull out the old rug (is where
the humidity is more accute)...
4-If I don't see mold, am I ok?

Thanks!!!!

Botticelli

Yes, keep the de-humidifier on until everything is dry, when you stop having
to empty the tank, if ever, all is well.

Yes, blow fans at the wet areas. Don't open the windows unless it is dryer
outside than inside.

The rug will be your call, if you have a sponge underpad it may be holding a
lot of water. Go over it all with a wet/dry vacuum and get all the moisture
you can out of the carpet, it will help it dry a lot better than newspapers
ever will.

In a basement you should really use commercial grade carpet tiles. They can
take getting wet, and can be easily lifted to get the water up and dry the
tiles. They go back just as easy. Do not install standard household carpet
with foam or sponge underpad under it. It will trap any loose water and
create an ideal area for mould to grow.

If you don't see mould, you may be OK, but you really need to look closer
under the carpet where it will be growing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 3:23�pm, "EXT" wrote:
"Botticeli" wrote in message

[...]

under the carpet where it will be growing.- Hide quoted text -

turn furnace on max temperature for day while your away, leave fan
blowing over area and dehudifier on.

dry it out fast.

install drip pan so it cant happen again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 3:34Â*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 22, 3:23�pm, "EXT" wrote:

"Botticeli" wrote in message

[...]

install drip pan so it cant happen again- Hide quoted text -

I want to thank you all for your advice!

I will certainly follow your wisdom...

I am completely unexpert in these, house matters, and to have people
that give you a hand, is just amazing!

Thanks again...

Boticelli
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably the shaggy one. You know; shaggy around the ears.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

Flooding. Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 November 10th 07 12:53 PM
The Cost of Flooding - OT TheScullster UK diy 6 October 22nd 07 07:26 PM
On the subject of flooding... tony sayer UK diy 18 July 9th 07 12:25 PM
Basement flooding avid_hiker Home Repair 4 March 22nd 07 11:40 PM
Basement flooding C & E Home Repair 12 June 29th 06 07:51 PM