Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement flooding

On Mar 20, 4:52 pm, "dyork" wrote:
My mom has a problem with her basement flooding. My dad when he was alive,
built this house 56 years ago.
He built a drain system that comes along the back wall in the basement and
comes out at the back of the house. The drain is just in a concrete like
step-up. But now her basement is flooding when it rains real hard for two or
more days. We all say to make all of her downspouts go away from the house
and that may fix the problem. Thinking that something is blocking the path
of the water when it rains real hard. My dad was a very good mason and I
guess he did that, because he could. I really don't know. Any suggestions
on what else is making it flood? Or do you think just changing all the
downspouts away from the house will help?
I hope I've described it well enough. I'll try to answer any questions that
you may have!

Donna

For this drain explained, can you see the other side of this pipe
where it exits to see if any water is actually getting through? Is it
outside that this pipe is draining, or is it draining into a city
sewer system?

Is this a concrete basement? or stone / dirt floor?

It is possible I would imagine that there is something stuck in this
drain, such as maybe dead mice, blocked with dirt, or even the exit
itself blocked up with such as snow or ice.

Has this just started flooding, or has it been going on for years?

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, avid_hiker
says...

On Mar 20, 4:52 pm, "dyork" wrote:
[...]

One likely possibility is that it's silted up after all these years.

After the debug you mention has eliminated some straighforward problem (like an
exit plug), since this is (from what I understand) concrete-encased, probably
some new system will need to go in. Maybe an excavation is in order.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would like to add.......and ask.........

Does this house have a sump pump? If so, it may need replacing. If you
do not know what this pump is, it is usually located within a hole or
sump hole in the floor, dug down maybe a few feet. The pipe you
mention must go to where this pump/if present, is located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm having to ask my brother all the answers to your questions. I will get
back to you when he emails me back.

Donna

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to add.......and ask.........

Does this house have a sump pump? If so, it may need replacing. If you
do not know what this pump is, it is usually located within a hole or
sump hole in the floor, dug down maybe a few feet. The pipe you
mention must go to where this pump/if present, is located.

flooding in basement - need help fast! Joe Home Repair 36 March 4th 07 12:31 PM
Basement flooding C & E Home Repair 12 June 29th 06 07:51 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 17th 06 05:34 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 17th 06 06:09 AM
Just bought house and now basement is flooding JustMe Home Repair 3 September 12th 05 01:09 AM