Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default On the subject of flooding...

OK a bit Heath Robinson I know but...

A friend of mine up North told me the other week that his daughter and
S-in Law were flooded near Donny.

Seems the "grief" came in via the lavatory, out of that, then in under
the doors.

Now I know it may sound a bit daft.. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good
idea if people in flood prone areas were to have some sort of bung
device to block the sewage out pipe and then if they could seal or with
battens screw shut the doors etc so that this would stop flood water
coming in for the greater extent.

Course that sounds mad but wouldn't it then be best if you deliberately
flood inside of your house so that there was a bit more water in and
this could equalise the pressure from the outside so that when it all
goes down perhaps there won't be so much of the stinking stuff in your
house so possibly less trouble all around?

Mad or sad or what?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Our local 'village idiot' was being teased in the pub the night of the
flood.

"Where do you live Claire?"

'Highcourt'

"What floor"

'16th'

"And your not flooded?"

'No'

"How come? My brother lives on the 17th & he is!"

She promptly telephoned her b/f to ask how bad things were at home!

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds fine. May as well just move out of the flood plain. Only 6 inches is
enough to cause severe damage. A dyke of raise ground (clay) could be put
around the house that blends in with the landscape. A mechanism to block up
the drains would be an advantage indeed. If the toilet is on the 1st floor
then no probs. Have HepVO traps on all sanitary appliances, washing
machine, sink, etc These act as non-return valves.

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and leave
them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 11:08 am, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

OOP NURTH, LADDIE?

Oop nurth?

Theyst theyer lavs outside, oop nurth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don Spumey" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
[...]

My conclusion is that Clair is blond, a hairdresser or a teacher.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer writes
[...]

Normally taken to be anywhere the other side of Watford..

Mind you he's always saying "why opp north etc etc....
--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Is a true Northerner a Scot? It is after all UK.D-I-Y.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

I think 'up north' refers to anywhere above Watford Gap ;-)

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and
leave them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

I'd love to see the loss adjuster's face when he comes to sort out your
claim: "So the flood water didn't actually reach your house, but you
decided to flood it anyway"

Now let's do the sums on putting, say, a foot of water into your house
using the kitchen tap (assuming Drivel Towers doesn't have its own 2"
hydrant). Let's say its floor area is 600 square feet. So we need 6000
cu ft of water to get a depth of one foot, assuming no leaks. With me
so far? 6000 cu ft is 37,500 gallons. What does your kitchen tap
manage? 3 gallons/minute? Let's call it 4, since you had the new main
installed to feed the combis. So that's 9375 minutes, or 156 and a bit
hours - say six and a half days. Let's hope the outside flood is rising
slower than most do.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

snip Drivel drivel

Now let's do the sums on putting, say, a foot of water into your house
using the kitchen tap (assuming Drivel Towers doesn't have its own 2"
hydrant). Let's say its floor area is 600 square feet. So we need 6000
cu ft of water to get a depth of one foot, assuming no leaks.

Oops!
Surely 600 cu ft would give a depth of 1 ft over an area of 600 sq ft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-08 18:52:32 +0100, "Autolycus" said:

[...]

Ah but your missing two vital pieces of information from Drivel-logic:

- Each tap in the house is able to deliver as much as the kitchen cold
tap, so with the kitchen hot tap and the hot and cold taps in the
bathroom, that will seven times the flow rate and the desired amount of
water will have been delivered in under a day

- Since half of the water is hot, it will be twice the volume due to
expansion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Autolycus
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
freenews.net...

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and
leave them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

I'd love to see the loss adjuster's face when he comes to sort out your
claim: "So the flood water didn't actually reach your house, but you
decided to flood it anyway"

Kevin, you've been here long enough to know that a) drivel doesn't need
taps to flood a property, just a hacksaw, and b) it's his favourite
occupation

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Don Spumey
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Which is 57 miles north of Watford, and well into the midlands

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 22:07:04 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , Autolycus
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
freenews.net...

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and
leave them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

I'd love to see the loss adjuster's face when he comes to sort out your
claim: "So the flood water didn't actually reach your house, but you
decided to flood it anyway"

Kevin, you've been here long enough to know that a) drivel doesn't need
taps to flood a property, just a hacksaw, and b) it's his favourite
occupation

Taps? Taps? Hacksaw? Not even that...

They don't call him Dribble for nothing...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Autolycus
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
dfreenews.net...

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and
leave them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

I'd love to see the loss adjuster's face when he comes to sort out your
claim: "So the flood water didn't actually reach your house, but you
decided to flood it anyway"

Kevin, you've been here long enough to know that a) drivel doesn't need
taps to flood a property, just a hacksaw, and b) it's his favourite
occupation

Maxie in such a situation I would take a recip saw to the said mains pipe/
How is the flatulence Maxie? Still a problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:08:19 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Now I know it may sound a bit daft.. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good
idea if people in flood prone areas were to have some sort of bung
device to block the sewage out pipe

A few years ago when we had flooding round here (Reading) friends whose
house was at risk were all prepared with a small rubber football to shove
down the WC pan.

--
John Stumbles

Bitwise, byte foolish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Autolycus
writes

[...]

Well my auntie managed around 2 inches of water in her downstairs rooms
around a couple of hours when she left the taps on and ruining in the
bath, overflow blocked, and then forgot all about that whilst gassing
round next doors whilst cadging some sugar......
--
Tony Sayer

Any way to stop flooding mower with oil? [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 23rd 07 01:07 PM
Basement flooding avid_hiker Home Repair 4 March 22nd 07 11:40 PM
downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 01:04 PM
Basement flooding C & E Home Repair 12 June 29th 06 07:51 PM
How to stop my garage from flooding? Rob UK diy 10 September 30th 05 10:29 AM