Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way to stop flooding mower with oil?

Whenever I do any work under my push mower which has a 3.5hp briggs
engine, I end up flooding the engine with oil. Then its horrible to
start again, and when it does the smoke is horrible. I do know better
than to flip it upside down, but to take off the blade for sharpening,
or tighten the wheels (which are always coming loose), I have to put
it on its side. I dread doing that, because I know I'll have to fight
with it for an hour to start it again, which means removing the plug,
cleaning the cylinder with gas, draining the oily gas, and then
pulling the rope about 100 times to finally start it, aftrer which I
risk the EPA arresting me because of all the smoke.

Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting the mower
on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I gave up
on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe or
whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or will the
oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to do this.

Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting the mower
on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I gave up
on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe or
whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or will the
oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to do this.

Try tipping it in a different direction?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 21, 10:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Certainly see no reason it needs to go all the way over on it's side
-- all it should take is raising the front or rear or the discharge
side a couple of inches to reach under and remove the blade --
certainly not enough to flood the engine w/ oil to any great extent.
Same thing for wheels -- all it takes is one off the ground at a time.

If it's inconvenient to get to the ground, pick it up and set it on a
workbench at a convenient height.

If you have some real physical disability that prevents that, guess
you could get the motorcycle lift and use it or similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Try putting it on it's "other" side and see if that helps.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

I put the handle under a car bumper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Other than gas leaking from the gas cap, don't have this oil problem with
any of my mowers regardless which side it was flipped and it starts with one
or two pulls. Oh, I have Honda engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 11:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have a Honda mower and in their manual it says not to tip the mower
with the Carburetor side down. If you need to tip it on it's side,
only tip it with the Carburetor side upper most. Note this does not
help you change two of the wheels, but shoudl allow you to get at that
mower blade.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Usually if you tip it so the spark plug is "up", that won't happen. Only
tip it far enough to get at the nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
...snipped...
Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting the mower
on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I gave up
on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe or
whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or will the
oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to do this.

Tom

If you examine the orientation of the engine you will see that oil
will be less prone to drain towards the top end when it is tipped on
some sides compared to others. Sorry but as this will vary with the
engine and the mower, I cannot be more specific. Basically pick a side
or end to tilt it on where the crankcase will not spill oil into the
cylinder when it is stood on it's side.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the oil level. Sounds massively over filled. 3.5 HP mowers
take about 20 ounces when they are full. I've seen people put the
entire quart in, when the oil appears low.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

news : Whenever I do any work under my push mower which has a 3.5hp
:
: Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting
the mower
: on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I
gave up
: on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe
or
: whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or
will the
: oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to
do this.
:
: Tom

How to stop my garage from flooding? Rob UK diy 10 September 30th 05 10:29 AM
Mower oil overfill rile Home Ownership 3 June 28th 05 01:07 AM
Lawm Mower blows oil out Mark Home Repair 9 May 17th 05 01:52 AM
Almost new mower, change oil for season? Taylor Home Repair 20 December 13th 04 02:09 AM
Lawn mower and oil spills Mike Home Repair 1 September 10th 04 03:19 PM