Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Any way to stop flooding mower with oil?

wrote:
Whenever I do any work under my push mower which has a 3.5hp briggs
engine, I end up flooding the engine with oil. Then its horrible to
start again, and when it does the smoke is horrible. I do know better
than to flip it upside down, but to take off the blade for sharpening,
or tighten the wheels (which are always coming loose), I have to put
it on its side. I dread doing that, because I know I'll have to fight
with it for an hour to start it again, which means removing the plug,
cleaning the cylinder with gas, draining the oily gas, and then
pulling the rope about 100 times to finally start it, aftrer which I
risk the EPA arresting me because of all the smoke.

Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting the mower
on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I gave up
on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe or
whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or will the
oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to do this.

Tom

Try putting it on it's "other" side and see if that helps.

--
Steve Barker