Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus Autolycus is offline

Default On the subject of flooding...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

If flood water was approaching my place I would turn on the taps and
leave them on, and have fresh water inside the house - hopefully.

I'd love to see the loss adjuster's face when he comes to sort out your
claim: "So the flood water didn't actually reach your house, but you
decided to flood it anyway"

Now let's do the sums on putting, say, a foot of water into your house
using the kitchen tap (assuming Drivel Towers doesn't have its own 2"
hydrant). Let's say its floor area is 600 square feet. So we need 6000
cu ft of water to get a depth of one foot, assuming no leaks. With me
so far? 6000 cu ft is 37,500 gallons. What does your kitchen tap
manage? 3 gallons/minute? Let's call it 4, since you had the new main
installed to feed the combis. So that's 9375 minutes, or 156 and a bit
hours - say six and a half days. Let's hope the outside flood is rising
slower than most do.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***