Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

Default Maytag fridge icemaker water hookup

Anybody familiar with how this is done?

I just took delivery today of a new Maytag fridge from Sears, which
came with a factory-installed icemaker. I didn't realize that the
delivery guys hadn't hooked up the water line until they had left. I
figured that I could probably do it myself, but I find that the diagram
in the manual does not resemble the actual fridge. Here's the man page:

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge1.png

Here are two pictures of the actual hookup area:

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge3.jpg

I don't think the diagram agrees with the physical unit. The book makes
it look like there should be two parallel tubes, a black one that
emerges from behind the metal panel at the rear bottom access panel of
the fridge, and another that dangles from above. As you can see, there
is only one actual tube, and no obvious place to hook up my water line.

Am I missing something? Could this have been assembled incorrectly at
the factory and is actually missing the "refrigerator connection"
that's referred to in the manual?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nil" wrote in message
[...]

you have the wrong diagram. you should dags on it, given the model number,
to get the right one.

what is inside the gray box? there should be a connector there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 6:15*pm, Nil wrote:
[...]

we just cut off and capped our icemaker waterline in a basement.
just make yourself icecubes. times are tough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 7:56*pm, wrote:
On Jul 17, 6:15*pm, Nil wrote:

[...]

just *make yourself icecubes. times are tough.- Hide quoted text -

What's the thing going into the bottom of the back of the fridge near
the vent that looks like 1/4" copper water tubing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The water valve is down by the floor. You have to take off the little grey
cover to get at it.

If you're not comfortable with this, most plumbers, HVAC guys or handymen
can hook it up. I'm a HVAC guy, and done several of these.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

On 17 Jul 2008, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote in alt.home.repair:

The water valve is down by the floor. You have to take off the
little grey cover to get at it.

Hmmm... OK. That's not what the diagram implies, but I did wonder what
was in there. I started to remove that gray cover, but it turns out you
have to remove the entire back panel, not just the gray plastic cover.
What I could see through the slats, though didn't look like a water
hookup, so I stopped there. I'll take the whole thing off tomorrow and
see what's up.

By the way, I mis-reported the brand. It's not a Maytag, it's a
Kenmore, model # 795.78304.801. I've had Maytag on the brain as well,
because my Maytag dishwasher also just broke.

So, it's a Kenmore, not Maytag. Probably doesn't make any difference to
this discussion, but I hope it didn't cause any confusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in alt.home.repair:

The water valve is down by the floor. You have to take off the
little grey cover to get at it.

Hmmm... OK. That's not what the diagram implies, but I did wonder what
was in there. I started to remove that gray cover, but it turns out you
have to remove the entire back panel, not just the gray plastic cover.
What I could see through the slats, though didn't look like a water
hookup, so I stopped there. I'll take the whole thing off tomorrow and
see what's up.

By the way, I mis-reported the brand. It's not a Maytag, it's a
Kenmore, model # 795.78304.801. I've had Maytag on the brain as well,
because my Maytag dishwasher also just broke.

So, it's a Kenmore, not Maytag. Probably doesn't make any difference to
this discussion, but I hope it didn't cause any confusion.

If the manual is not the right one for that model, I'd go to the Sears/
Kenmore website and see if you can locate and view the correct one.
If that doesn't work, google appliance parts. Most of the online ones
have the same online parts diagrams, where you put in the model and
they show how the whole refrigerator is put together part by part.
You should be able to figure it out from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

On 17 Jul 2008, Nil wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Hmmm... OK. That's not what the diagram implies, but I did wonder
what was in there. I started to remove that gray cover, but it
turns out you have to remove the entire back panel, not just the
gray plastic cover. What I could see through the slats, though
didn't look like a water hookup, so I stopped there. I'll take the
whole thing off tomorrow and see what's up.

OK, I removed the back panel, and I think I've found the water line
hookup. Does this look like it?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge4.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge5.jpg

If so, I guess all I need is a compression nut for the copper tubing,
and I should be good to go.

The manual I have is the correct one for this model fridge, but this
hookup is completely different than what is pictured in the manual.

By the way, I mis-reported the brand. It's not a Maytag, it's a
Kenmore, model # 795.78304.801. I've had Maytag on the brain as
well, because my Maytag dishwasher also just broke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 3:15*pm, Nil wrote:
[...]

http://mikemerrittmotors.yuku.com/fo...-Small-and-Maj...

The appliguy is the GREATEST! He has walked me through two washing
machine repairs for fraction of the cost of hiring someone.

He will help you. Get the brand and model no. and he will have the
right answer for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

On 18 Jul 2008, "MRS. CLEAN" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

http://mikemerrittmotors.yuku.com/fo...es-Small-and-M
aj...

The appliguy is the GREATEST! He has walked me through two
washing machine repairs for fraction of the cost of hiring
someone.

He will help you. Get the brand and model no. and he will have
the right answer for you.

Thanks, that looks promising. I'll check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please remove the entire back. Abotu six inches tall, by the width of the
fride. In the lower right (facing the back) should be the water valve.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in alt.home.repair:

The water valve is down by the floor. You have to take off the
little grey cover to get at it.

Hmmm... OK. That's not what the diagram implies, but I did wonder what
was in there. I started to remove that gray cover, but it turns out you
have to remove the entire back panel, not just the gray plastic cover.
What I could see through the slats, though didn't look like a water
hookup, so I stopped there. I'll take the whole thing off tomorrow and
see what's up.

By the way, I mis-reported the brand. It's not a Maytag, it's a
Kenmore, model # 795.78304.801. I've had Maytag on the brain as well,
because my Maytag dishwasher also just broke.

So, it's a Kenmore, not Maytag. Probably doesn't make any difference to
this discussion, but I hope it didn't cause any confusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...20Component s

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

If the manual is not the right one for that model, I'd go to the Sears/
Kenmore website and see if you can locate and view the correct one.
If that doesn't work, google appliance parts. Most of the online ones
have the same online parts diagrams, where you put in the model and
they show how the whole refrigerator is put together part by part.
You should be able to figure it out from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pic four and five are the water valve. Five is more close up. The inlet
threads on top. and clearly visible.

The water inlet threads to a 1/8 inch copper tubing compression nut and
ferrule.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:32*pm, Nil wrote:
On 18 Jul 2008, "MRS. CLEAN" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

http://mikemerrittmotors.yuku.com/fo...es-Small-and-M
aj...

The appliguy is the GREATEST! *He has walked me through two
washing machine repairs for *fraction of the cost of hiring
someone.

He will help you. *Get the brand and model no. and he will have
the right answer for you.

Thanks, that looks promising. I'll check it out.

You've found the water inlet. That should connect to 1/4 copper
tubing using a ferrule and compression nut. I just installed a
fridge and used one of the stainless steel flexible hoses to do the
connection. It's a lot easier to move the fridge without worrying
about kinking the copper tube or breaking it. I had an existing
copper tube, so I secured that to the back wall with a plastic cable
clamp and then used a compression union to go from the copper to the
new hose. The other end of the hose mates with the water inlet.
The hose I bought has a feature where if the hose ruptures, somehow it
detects the surge and shuts itself off. Exactly how well that works
or how useful it is, I don't know, but it basicly came for free with
the hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/18/2008 10:09 PM said the following:
On Jul 18, 3:32 pm, Nil wrote:

[...]

My last two ice maker fridges were recessed in the cabinetry and there
was no way to get to the rear of the fridge before it was fully pulled
out past the cabinetry. Both of these fridges had 1/4" plastic tubing
for the supply. It made it a lot easier to pull out the fridge to make
repairs, etc. With the plastic tubing, there is no kinking of the tube,
stress on the fittings, or the need to re-roll the tubing when putting
the fridge back.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

A belated thanks to all the good responses to my question. The icemaker
water hookup was, indeed behind the back access panel as in these
pictures, not exposed like was shown in the manual.

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge4.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/fridge5.jpg

Everything's connected and working. I haven't had an icemaker for
decades, and while it's not essential, it's nice to have plenty of the
stuff and not have to be cracking trays when it's least convenient.

On 17 Jul 2008, Nil wrote in
alt.home.repair: