Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Kenmore/Whirlpool fridge icemaker problem/resolution

Icemakers are funny pieces of equipment. Yet I stupidly keep buying
them, or it's nearly impossible to avoide them in big side by sides.

At any rate my 11.5month old Kenmore brand (this one is Whirlpool
made) side by side quit making ice last week after I noticed icecicles
going down the side of the freezer compartment and on the shelves
below the icemaker. No water escaped happily. It's under warranty so
I cheerfully called the repair line and a knowledgeable repairman came
to my home and Dx'd it in about 4 seconds: frozen water inlet on the
icemaker. He had it fixed in about 10 minutes.

A few screws and one connector he had the icemaker out and ran it
under warm water to thaw the inlet chute. Screwdriver to clear the
inlet hose. He said about 40% of his calls are icemaker issues and
this particular Kenmore model is extremely prone to this freezeup
issue because the inlet plumbling runs horizontal across the top of
the refrigerator side until making 90 degree bend to drop into the
freezer into the icemaker.

He modified the right side of the cold air outlet of the freezer with
about 3" worth of foil backed duct tape--just enough to prevent cold
air from blowing directly on the refill tube and and trought assembly.
He said that the design there wasn't the brightest but the duct tape
does seem to minimize recurrence of the freezing. I dig stuff that
can actually be fixed with duct tape.

To get the maker back in cycle he had a small jumper wire the T2H
terminals on the left side of the maker, and then hit the door closure
switch 3 times within so many seconds. Hopefully I paid attention
well enough if I have to ever do it again.

My fridge model is 5653 3 an Ultra Satin Kenmore 25.4cf side-by-side
model with the Pur filtration system. Seems to be similar or equiv to
current sears model 04656926000.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=04656926000

I like the fridge otherwise. Damn glad it decided to freeze when it
did vs 2 weeks later, or the warranty would've lapsed and this lesson
on icemaker maintenance would've cost me $156.

Hope this helps someone but don't ask me questions or hold me to any
of this- I only observed the work! :-0

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.