Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ballpark Figure?

In my kitchen I have 5 recessed can lights mounted in an approximately 6'
circular pattern over the island. There is no attic access. I would like
to have a ceiling fan junction box added in the center of the circle of
downlights, wired to the same circuit as the lights. I won't require a
separate switch for the fan, as I will use the pull chain switch to control
it. There is no concern about wattage, as I am using CFLs in the
downlights that total only ~120 watts. The fan wattage will not exceed 100
watts.

I haven't called an electrician for prices yet. I live in the greater
Phoenix area. Any wild guesses as to what this might cost to have
installed? I can't manage doing the job myself as I have a back problem
that prevents me from being on a ladder.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ceiling fan electrical box would need to be mounted to the ceiling wood
framing so it could support the fan. Depending on where the joists run in
the ceiling, this could be easy or require cutting out some drywall.

Then you would need someone to fix the drywall.

The electrical part should be easy. Should be able to tap into a nearby
fixture and run a wire to the fan.

So maybe a couple of hundred for just the electrical work.

As to the drywall work, these days it seems calling anyone out to do
anything is $100 just for them to show up! (Got to fill that truck up with
gas!)

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your comments, Bill. Givs me some direction.

Wayne

On Sun 29 Jun 2008 07:40:17a, Bill told us...

[...]

Sunday, 06(VI)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Instant gratification has its merits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

In my kitchen I have 5 recessed can lights mounted in an approximately 6'
circular pattern over the island. There is no attic access. I would like
to have a ceiling fan junction box added in the center of the circle of
downlights, wired to the same circuit as the lights. I won't require a
separate switch for the fan, as I will use the pull chain switch to
control
it. There is no concern about wattage, as I am using CFLs in the
downlights that total only ~120 watts. The fan wattage will not exceed
100
watts.

In addition to what the other person said, costs this time will be very
related to your area. I found out it's a whole grunch cheaper here than
most places. Lowes here, will do it for 98$ but may leave you cosmetic
things with drywall to fix up?

One other person in a different thread layed out a cost of 289$ starter
figure for a fan with attic access. I'd come back with 50$ each in my case
but forgot to mention it was a package deal with other work. Mine would
have been about 75$ each if that was the only work done but they were
replacements of existing units (wires in place etc).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 30 Jun 2008 03:50:03a, cshenk told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

[...]

Thanks, Carol. Without an actual quote, I'm beginning to think it may run
around $125-150. I will be installing the fan myself, and I can also
supply the special expanding braced fan outlet box that is meant to be
installed from the ceiling opening and not the attic. The wiring to the
existing recessed cans should be easily located once the hole for the box
has been cut. An educated guess tells me that they can drop one of the
recessed cans to access a connection point. I doubt in this case they will
have to cut out more drywall than what is required for the outlet box hole.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

Thanks, Carol. Without an actual quote, I'm beginning to think it may run
around $125-150.

That 'seems about right' when reading the below.

I will be installing the fan myself, and I can also
supply the special expanding braced fan outlet box that is meant to be
installed from the ceiling opening and not the attic. The wiring to the
existing recessed cans should be easily located once the hole for the box
has been cut. An educated guess tells me that they can drop one of the
recessed cans to access a connection point. I doubt in this case they
will
have to cut out more drywall than what is required for the outlet box
hole.

Be aware with your back (I share your problems there, DDD, 3 herniations)
that you will need help holding the fixture up if you are going to actually
plug it in. If you just do the box part in advance so they can tie to it,
probably same price if i read you right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 01 Jul 2008 04:04:55a, cshenk told us...

[...]

Thanks, Carol. Actually, I've recently had a new back problem recently (a
pinched nerve this time, I think), so it may not be me at all who puts up
the fan. If I can do it by the time the junction box is in place, I'll
definitely have help.

No, I don't intend to actually install the box, but I know the type I want
and will supply it to the electrician.

How is your back now, Carol?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

Be aware with your back (I share your problems there, DDD, 3
herniations) that you will need help holding the fixture up if you are
going to actually plug it in. If you just do the box part in advance so
they can tie to it, probably same price if i read you right?

Thanks, Carol. Actually, I've recently had a new back problem recently (a
pinched nerve this time, I think), so it may not be me at all who puts up
the fan. If I can do it by the time the junction box is in place, I'll
definitely have help.

Thats good you'll have help. 'Pinched Nerves' are so much fun.

No, I don't intend to actually install the box, but I know the type I want
and will supply it to the electrician.

How is your back now, Carol?

Comes and goes in comfort levels. Denegerative Disc Disease (DDD) so it's
got it's good and bad days. One of those progressive things but with care I
am fairly normal as long as I dont lift stuff. I bring my daughter with me
shopping so she can handle the bigger stuff (she's 14) and at the same time
she's learned lots on how to economically shop plus gets more 'Mommie time'!

Anyways, the relation to this group is just that I have lots of tips but
often have to contract things out due to physical limits. There's a great
deal I can still do (such as just posted how we rescreened the porch for
another) but I couldnt hold a fan up for Don to put in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

[...]

I usually just use a cheater cord (power cord with alligator clips) to
power the fan while it's on the ground. It helicopters up and hovers
while I fool with all the pesky installation details.

Seriously, most fans I've seen lately have some way to hang the fan at
least temporarily while you do the wiring.

Try "Miracle Balls" for your back problems. Fixed mine post haste. $20
at the bookstore. (no affiliation, just a happy customer.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I usually just use a cheater cord (power cord with alligator clips) to
power the fan while it's on the ground. It helicopters up and hovers
while I fool with all the pesky installation details.

LOL!

Seriously, most fans I've seen lately have some way to hang the fan at
least temporarily while you do the wiring.

This is true! Either way, we had ours done as part of a package deal with
lots of other little electrical things.

Try "Miracle Balls" for your back problems. Fixed mine post haste. $20
at the bookstore. (no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Smile, thanks but I'm more the 'lets see how long we can keep it going
before we wheelchair your ass' levels (grin). Miracle balls are good for
some things but are specifically not to be used for those with my sort and
level of DDD. Dunno what the book says but the Doc and physical therapist
as well as the Chiro warned me that I'd see others using them but *not me*.
(It all depends on what an MRI shows and mine are passed around to the
interns to show that not everyone with serious DDD is a basket case if they
follow directions correctly and make the needed lifestyle changes). Please,
this isnt a 'pity me' post, just an honest answer.

I know they are great as there's a fellow who has his physical therapy
appointments often the same time I do and he gets to use them but I'm not
allowed to except in a few very limited ways on a knee problem (knee problem
not related to back). I like the knee one though. It's kinda fun. Bouncy
bouncy!

One thing that does help me quite a bit is a rice bag warmed in the
microwave. A simple pleasure that smells nice (mine are filled with Basmati
and Jasmine rices). Thats useful for anyone who pulls a muscle too!

Either way, if anyone is looking for how to go about a project when they
have back problems, I can probably help out!