Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ballpark Figure?

On Mon 30 Jun 2008 03:50:03a, cshenk told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

In my kitchen I have 5 recessed can lights mounted in an approximately
6' circular pattern over the island. There is no attic access. I
would like to have a ceiling fan junction box added in the center of
the circle of downlights, wired to the same circuit as the lights. I
won't require a separate switch for the fan, as I will use the pull
chain switch to control it. There is no concern about wattage, as I am
using CFLs in the downlights that total only ~120 watts. The fan
wattage will not exceed 100 watts.

In addition to what the other person said, costs this time will be very
related to your area. I found out it's a whole grunch cheaper here than
most places. Lowes here, will do it for 98$ but may leave you cosmetic
things with drywall to fix up?

One other person in a different thread layed out a cost of 289$ starter
figure for a fan with attic access. I'd come back with 50$ each in my
case but forgot to mention it was a package deal with other work. Mine
would have been about 75$ each if that was the only work done but they
were replacements of existing units (wires in place etc).

Thanks, Carol. Without an actual quote, I'm beginning to think it may run
around $125-150. I will be installing the fan myself, and I can also
supply the special expanding braced fan outlet box that is meant to be
installed from the ceiling opening and not the attic. The wiring to the
existing recessed cans should be easily located once the hole for the box
has been cut. An educated guess tells me that they can drop one of the
recessed cans to access a connection point. I doubt in this case they will
have to cut out more drywall than what is required for the outlet box hole.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)