Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C advise

I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 19, 7:35*pm, bill wrote:
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. *The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. *He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). *Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. *Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. * Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. * * It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. *Thanks

Call the service tech back in a couple of months for a check up.
Explain to him clearly your concerns. The performance and gage
readings at that time should allay your worries. Repeat next year and
if no major deviations show up, your system will probably be trouble
free for a number of years. IMO a pound or so of refrigerant is no big
deal in new system.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

bill wrote:
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

Hi,
Did installing tech checked charge level then? After adding refrigerant
is it working OK now? They can detect leak if suspected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 7:35*pm, bill wrote:
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. *The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. *He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). *Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. *Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. * Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. * * It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. *Thanks

I guess your full labor warranty lasts 1 yr? Maybe they did it right
the first time and there is a leak, have it checked out in a few
months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The tech should have checked delta t, super heat, and a few other things.
It's very possible the system was just fine. Turning on an AC in the spring
or summer, needs a while to dry out the indoors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bill" wrote in message
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:35:48 -0400, bill wrote:

I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

If the tech did as he/she should it was properly charged last fall. A
leak can be as simple as a loose bolt or as complex as a very slow
in-the-wall leak. Find the most competent A/C technician you can get!
Posted to alt.home.repair

bill wrote:
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

Was the weather last Oct. really cold, if so then the installer might have
not wanted to top off until warmer weather. Remember a installer is not the
same as a service tech.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 7:35*pm, bill wrote:
I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. *The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. *He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). *Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. *Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. * Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. * * It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. *Thanks

If it was to cold when it was installed and not run and checked by
temperature maybe it is something the installer thought would be done
this year and forgot about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
good ones are.

"Moe Jones" wrote in message

. Remember a installer is not the same as a service tech.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

But then they would be service technician and be paid alot more. :-)

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was wondering where was the loose bolt, that caused the leak. Maybe the
loose bolt is in the wall?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"S. Barker" wrote in message
in the wall!??? what part of the ac system is 'in the wall'?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:35:48 -0400, bill wrote:

I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged). Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak. It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

If the tech did as he/she should it was properly charged last fall. A
leak can be as simple as a loose bolt or as complex as a very slow
in-the-wall leak. Find the most competent A/C technician you can get!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote:

in the wall!??? what part of the ac system is 'in the wall'?

Part of the run of the refrigerant lines?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:35:48 -0400, bill wrote:

I had a new carrier A/C 2.5 ton installed last Oct 07 after the
cooling season. The installer didnot add any refrigerant other than
what was pre charged in the condenser. He installed about 30 feet of
line and new evap coil (neither was pre-charged).

They need something like a minimum of 80 F to properly charge/tune a
new system. It was too cool last Oct?

Turned system on
this spring and it didnt seem just right. Service tech came today and
added 1.5 lbs of R410A. Do you think they should have added refrig
last Oct or do I have a leak.

Likely neither.

It only ran at most 2 weeks since it
was installed. Thanks

Consider the following:

a.) It was too cool to fully charge last Oct.
b.) The tech added the correct amount of R410A when requested and system
was fully testable.

If you've got the full documentation for the outside unit, it should
tell you what the pre-charge was. Add 1.5 lbs and see if it is not
very close to the R410A charge indicated on the spec plate. If so, *and*
it is cooling properly, you should be OK, so far as I can tell from here.

Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson

Posted to alt.home.repair

Followup
thanks for the words of wisdom. yep, the book says the condenser is
charged for evap coil and 15 feet of line. the tech added 1.5 lb of
R410a. runs good.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:00:43 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

[...]

Please advise for Hot Tub 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 4 December 24th 06 06:10 PM
Need Advise on wood triker3 Woodturning 4 October 5th 06 07:46 AM
I Need some help/advise kjpdx Home Repair 6 July 7th 06 09:59 PM
Tub advise Sasha Home Repair 5 July 3rd 05 03:42 AM
Advise Max Power Woodworking 48 September 21st 03 12:38 AM