Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Need Advise on wood

I am a fairly new turner, having done about 4 dozen pens of different
styles. I have come into a fair amount of Western red Cedar 6"x8" by 5 or 6
feet. It is old wood but in good shape will this be a good wood to start
learning to turn bowls and goblets? TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

triker3 wrote:
I am a fairly new turner, having done about 4 dozen pens of different
styles. I have come into a fair amount of Western red Cedar 6"x8" by 5 or 6
feet. It is old wood but in good shape will this be a good wood to start
learning to turn bowls and goblets? TIA

If it's free it's good wood to learn on! I have turned a lot of Cedar
and it is beautiful. The only problem is it is very soft so you need
really sharp tools and be prepared to use many grits of sandpaper to
get a really shiny finish. Sands easy so just work your way up through
the grits.
Earl

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Triker

If you never turned bowls or goblets, than I would suggest you keep
that western red cedar for later, when you have some experience under
your belt.
You would be much better off with green hardwood than old soft
softwood, that does not mean you could not use it, just that it is
challenging even for more experienced turners.
I don't know where you are located, but there are few areas that do not
have any trees being taken down or trimmed, and thats the places and
people to go look for, IMO

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

triker3 wrote:
I am a fairly new turner, having done about 4 dozen pens of different
styles. I have come into a fair amount of Western red Cedar 6"x8" by 5 or 6
feet. It is old wood but in good shape will this be a good wood to start
learning to turn bowls and goblets? TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"triker3" wrote in message
I am a fairly new turner, having done about 4 dozen pens of different
styles. I have come into a fair amount of Western red Cedar 6"x8" by 5 or

6
feet. It is old wood but in good shape will this be a good wood to start
learning to turn bowls and goblets? TIA

So many different species and different qualities are sold as Western Red
and some of them are extremely course and dry/brittle that they aren't of
much use to anyone for fine wodturning. Some of the junipers and old growth
are actually fairly nice to work with and look nice even if they are dusty
and most dent easily in the finished product. The only thing for it is to
give it a try and see if it is worth it for what you have in mind. The only
part I will ever take an interest in is very slow growth buttress material
which generally has a nice quilt or large callouses overgrowing broken
branches which are generally extremely hard and very nice visually. ymmv