Sasha

Default Tub advise

I am totally remodeling a bathroom and replacing a bath tub. I am
leaning towards Kohler cast iron tub. Is it good choice? What tub
material is the best? What's the appropriate way to install a tub?
Should I first attach W&O and then lower tub in place? Should it be set
in mortar?

CWatters

"Sasha" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am totally remodeling a bathroom and replacing a bath tub. I am
leaning towards Kohler cast iron tub. Is it good choice? What tub
material is the best?

"Best" is down to personal taste.

Copper?
http://vanicrafts.com/Copper-Bathtubs.htm

G Henslee

Sasha wrote:
I am totally remodeling a bathroom and replacing a bath tub. I am
leaning towards Kohler cast iron tub. Is it good choice? What tub
material is the best? What's the appropriate way to install a tub?
Should I first attach W&O and then lower tub in place? Should it be set
in mortar?

As tubs go, you can't do better in C/I than Kohler. No mortar.
ameijers

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Sasha wrote:
I am totally remodeling a bathroom and replacing a bath tub. I am
leaning towards Kohler cast iron tub. Is it good choice? What tub
material is the best? What's the appropriate way to install a tub?
Should I first attach W&O and then lower tub in place? Should it be set
in mortar?

As tubs go, you can't do better in C/I than Kohler. No mortar.

Cast iron is excellent choice, IMHO. What is W&O? Waste and Overflow? If so,
yes, pre-assembly is always easier, if it doesn't interfere with
installation. If you have never done this before, leaf through the DIY book
and pay attention to the paragraphs about making sure floor is solid and
level, adding below-subfloor blocking under the weight points (flat areas on
bottom) if needed, adding blocking/nailers in wall where lip hits,
insulating behind and under tub (especially if on outside wall), making sure
tub is installed dead-level at top of lip, and providing access panel on
backside of faucet wall. No mortar bed is needed for CI. Back in stone age,
box tub comes in used to provide pretty good instructions, as well as a
cutout to line tub and ledge with while tile guy and plumber is working on
it. A dropped wrench in last step chipping the porcelin can ruin your whole
day. I tend to recommend people pay a pro the first time, and watch closely
and learn. Any oopsies are then his problem.

aem sends...

Boat_dreams

A dropped wrench in last step chipping the porcelin can ruin your whole
day. I tend to recommend people pay a pro the first time, and watch closely
and learn. Any oopsies are then his problem.
aem sends...

Amen to that. 1st timers always underestimate the weight of these tubs.
Cheers, Boat_dreams.

Oscar_Lives

ups.com...

www.tubgirl.com for all your answers.