Max Power

Default Advise

Bob S.

Let's see...last time I cleaned a pipe it was one of my fathers as I recall.
I can remember getting it from his pipe rack then climbing up on a chair I
pushed over near the sink where my mother was washing dishes.

Spluushhhh..... was the funny sound it made as it headed to the deep six of
the kitchen sink in soapy water with lot's of suds..... My mother smiled and
said..."I agree, might as well and go ahead and clean that smelly old thing"

Years later, I bought Dad a hand-carved Meerschaum as a replacement....

So I don't know what you would use to clean a pipe but don't use soap and
water...Dad never did smoke that particular pipe ever again...

Bob S.

JLucas ILS

Max,
If it were a truly expensive pipe ($220 and up), you would have been asking
this question long ago. The inside you do not clean. never ever. Use use a
cleaning tool that scrapes the char out. If you use this tool correctly, you do
not remove much each time. If you are too aggressive you will pull clumps out,
leaving no char in that little area and that will allow that spot to burn
through.
On outside, if it is real yucky, you can scrub with toothbrush and very mild
solution of water and murphys oil and wipe clean. When doen, use your noce oil
to add protection. SOmeone already mentioned this. It works and works well. Rub
on your nose and use your fingers to loveingly rub it in. A $200 plus pipe will
retain in value, and smoke well. ANd dont smoke one pipe all the time. It needs
a rest.
None of these rules apply to meerschaum.
Sweet Sawdust

For pipes that have gone sour I always reamed the bowl down to the briar
and then coated with a then mixture of honey cut with alcohol, then lightly
charred the bowl. Have you ever tried this? It seems to work quite well
for me on all types of briar pipes.
"JLucas ILS" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Watson

Default Virus Alert

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:23:32 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

Wanted to let you know that I got a virus alert from my ISP with your
address on it. Tried to tell you via email but it bounced.

Subject: Recipient Virus-alert (sender:
)

"
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

This is the mail anti-virus program at virusgate1.snip.net.

We BLOCKED a message addressed to you from:

containing:
infected: I-Worm.Swen

This message does not contain the virus or the original e-mail
message.

This message is just a notification and can be safely deleted.

The person sending this virus received a notification as well.

The attached file contains the message headers of the infected mail.
The headers will only be of interest to a mail administrator.

Do not reply to this auto-generated message. All replies to
this message will be lost.

Please direct any comments or questions to
.

Thank you,

SNiP Internet and Telecommunications
From: "MS Security Center"
To: "Microsoft Client"
SUBJECT: security patch
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Regards, Tom
Tom Watson - Woodworker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Swingman

None of my damn business, but just wondering what the rationale was behind
the change from "Cabinetmaker" to "Woodworker" in your sig line and your
website?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03

Rick Chamberlain

From: "MS Security Center"
To: "Microsoft Client"
SUBJECT: security patch
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Regards, Tom
Tom Watson - Woodworker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Tom,

This is the newest virus/worm. Symantec has posted a new definition
file to catch and delete it. I suspect that there are some out there
who have not patched their MS OS to plug the hole in Internet Explorer.

Details at:

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=030918
&cat=news&st=newstechwormswendc

Rick
Lazarus Long

Starting yesterday, I've received about 50 copies of the new virus.
They're trying to come in as a microsoft security patch, "PLEASE APPLY
NOW!"

As if!

From: "MS Security Center"
To: "Microsoft Client"
SUBJECT: security patch
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Regards, Tom
Tom Watson - Woodworker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Lawrence L'Hote

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message

This is the newest virus/worm. Symantec has posted a new definition
file to catch and delete it. I suspect that there are some out there
who have not patched their MS OS to plug the hole in Internet Explorer.

Details at:

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=030918
&cat=news&st=newstechwormswendc

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were
infected.

Larry

Joe User

In QcDab.522676$uu5.86814@sccrnsc04 Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were
infected.

_All_ are either infected or have been cleaned. Microsoft does not
email patches. Depending on what you've signed up for you may get an
email directing you to a web site, but they don't distribute patches via
email.

download all patches directly from microsoft. I wouldn't even click on
a link in a message I received; just type in microsoft.com in a web
browser and click to the patches yourself, if you're not using the
windowsupdate tool.

-j
Grandpa

Someone is harvesting addrs from the NGs & flooding their emails with
them. This is the 3rd NG I frequent where its been mentioned. I've
gotten just over 300 so far since yesterday.

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message

This is the newest virus/worm. Symantec has posted a new definition
file to catch and delete it. I suspect that there are some out there
who have not patched their MS OS to plug the hole in Internet Explorer.

Details at:

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=030918
&cat=news&st=newstechwormswendc

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were
infected.

Larry

Upscale

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Someone is harvesting addrs from the NGs & flooding their emails with
them. This is the 3rd NG I frequent where its been mentioned. I've
gotten just over 300 so far since yesterday.

That sounds about right. After the first hundred, I started cloning filter
variables.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Lazarus Long
wrote:

Starting yesterday, I've received about 50 copies of the new virus.
They're trying to come in as a microsoft security patch, "PLEASE APPLY
NOW!"

I've had about 800 since after dinner yesterday. Working with my
sysadmin to try to block them at the server.

djb

--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:08:00 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were
infected.

I've just had my 3,000th ! _Today_ !

Dave Balderstone

In article , Andy Dingley
wrote:

I've just had my 3,000th ! _Today_ !

And I thought I was getting nailed! Ouch!

djb

--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Lazarus Long

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:13:21 GMT, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Lazarus Long
wrote:

Starting yesterday, I've received about 50 copies of the new virus.
They're trying to come in as a microsoft security patch, "PLEASE APPLY
NOW!"

I've had about 800 since after dinner yesterday. Working with my
sysadmin to try to block them at the server.

djb

My count is now near 100. Fortunately it's not as bad as yours. yet.
these virus people have entirely too much time on their hands. they
should just chill and go get a beer.

Rick Chamberlain

I'm at zero. That's one of advantages to never putting your
real email address on USENET in a machine readable form. I
don't put mine on USENET in any form unless someone
specifically asks for it and has a good reason for asking.
Then they get my junk email address.

You really can keep the amount of spam and other crap you
get in your email down with a little effort.

Rico

Possibly, but this virus reads the address books of machines infected
and sends messages to all. Perhaps no one has you in their address book
Rico?

Rick

Dave Balderstone

In article , Lazarus Long
wrote:

My count is now near 100. Fortunately it's not as bad as yours. yet.
these virus people have entirely too much time on their hands. they
should just chill and go get a beer.

I'm up to nearly 1K right now. My suppport goddess and I have been
tweaking my Spam Assassin settings on the box that hosts balderstone.ca
and may have finally got it. I'll know more in a while, things are so
slow that there's a 45 minute delay at the mail server.

At work, we run an anti-virus server along with the firewall, and I
haven't had one from that account.

djb

--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Scratch Ankle Wood

The other day I had one of my people stuck with a 2 1/2 download time for
email on her computer because of viruses (the first wave) that had come in
starting about Labor Day. All from one Road Runner Indianapolis account.
Her ISP's response when called was to say it was just spam and he could
change there email address to solve it. Interesting response I thought.
Wonder why his business isn't flourishing. Actually, he better than the
other local providers and none are doing well. Anyway, one email to abuse
at Road Runner solved the problem.

wrote:

My count is now near 100. Fortunately it's not as bad as yours. yet.
these virus people have entirely too much time on their hands. they
should just chill and go get a beer.

I'm up to nearly 1K right now. My suppport goddess and I have been
tweaking my Spam Assassin settings on the box that hosts balderstone.ca
and may have finally got it. I'll know more in a while, things are so
slow that there's a 45 minute delay at the mail server.

At work, we run an anti-virus server along with the firewall, and I
haven't had one from that account.

I run Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm as well as the firewall
in my wireless router. I don't see how any of these can
stop what is essentially spam. They will let through
email that is addressed to you. How is yours being
stopped at work with these tools?

Dennis Vogel

Daniel Martin

I have received well over 60 or more of these infected emails. I have
changed my posting email to a Hotmail account and I hope that this
will take care of it.

They are using Microsoft links to fool people. Microsoft should
hopefully be working on this one.

D.Martin

From: "MS Security Center"
To: "Microsoft Client"
SUBJECT: security patch
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Regards, Tom
Tom Watson - Woodworker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Tony D.

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were
infected.

Larry

Its Getting Sickening Is'nt it?
Its Overflowing My E mail, and Yahoo keeps giving me warnings about
Mail box storage Limit exceeding its limit.
Thanks, Tony D.

"Scratch Ankle Wood" wrote in message
s.com...
The other day I had one of my people stuck with a 2 1/2 download time for
email on her computer because of viruses (the first wave) that had come in
starting about Labor Day. All from one Road Runner Indianapolis account.
Her ISP's response when called was to say it was just spam and he could
change there email address to solve it. Interesting response I thought.
Wonder why his business isn't flourishing. Actually, he better than the
other local providers and none are doing well. Anyway, one email to abuse
at Road Runner solved the problem.

The numerous emails I'm getting don't appear to be from any
real source. When asked about putting virus filtering software
on their mail servers, my ISP (Patriot Media in NJ) actually
said "no one is using that kind of thing or else there wouldn't
be all the viruses spreading around the world." Needless to
say I was shocked by this logic.

Dennis Vogel

J&KCopeland

"Dennis " wrote in message
[...]

No one does it for a reason.

With thousands of end users, it's extremely difficult to create a general
application rule that wouldn't supress legitmate eMail for someone. I have
a rule deleting everything that has "Microsoft" in the subject line, but if
I worked for Microsoft or one of it umpteen vendors, I might find that
particular rule, totally unacceptable.

I don't normally eMail executable files, but I have, on occasion forwarded a
particular file to a relative.

Even the multi-address rules of some ISP's can cause problems. My daughter,
a manager, regularily sends out bluk eMails to 22 regionally dispersed
employees.

Much better for end users to learn the rather simple rule, do NOT open any
attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and why.

James...

Rick Chamberlain

In article ,
says...
Rick Chamberlain wrote:
I'm at zero. That's one of advantages to never putting your
real email address on USENET in a machine readable form. I
don't put mine on USENET in any form unless someone
specifically asks for it and has a good reason for asking.
Then they get my junk email address.

You really can keep the amount of spam and other crap you
get in your email down with a little effort.

Rico

Possibly, but this virus reads the address books of machines infected
and sends messages to all. Perhaps no one has you in their address book
Rico?

Rick

My ISP is good at stopping the latest viruses and worms, one
of the few things they are good at.

Not passing your email address around on USENET everytime
you post does cut way down on the crap, but of course you
are free to leave you email address on the **** house wall
or where ever else you try to get your dates.

Sarcasm meter on the blink again Rico?

I thought about why I use my real name and e-mail address in light of
all the harvesting and virii and such. While I have decided to change
my posting e-mail address, I still leave instructions for those who wish
to e-mail me off list.

And, I use my real name because I believe when you are speaking with
someone, you look them square in the eye and respect them enough to use
your real name.

You don't use your real name, don't make reference to a correct e-mail
address, and don't allow your posts to be archived by Google. Guess I
have my explanation for your crass response.

Thicken up your skin son, and relax a little.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

"J&KCopeland" wrote in message
news

"Dennis " wrote in message
[...]

How about an email that contains a virus? Those should be filtered
by an ISP. In fact, a good ISP will let individual users configure
their own filters. No need for everyone to have the same filters.
This isn't a difficult problem to solve. And it's in the ISP's interest
to do this because it is their bandwidth that is getting chewed up
with this crap.

I don't normally eMail executable files, but I have, on occasion forwarded

particular file to a relative.

Even the multi-address rules of some ISP's can cause problems. My

daughter,
a manager, regularily sends out bluk eMails to 22 regionally dispersed
employees.

Much better for end users to learn the rather simple rule, do NOT open any
attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and why.

Yeah but there's a little problem. When I shut off my computer, the
email backs up on the ISPs mail server. When it gets full, valid
email gets bounced. Overnight is sufficient to clog my mailbox.

Dennis Vogel

Ramsey

Just loaed McAfee SpamkiIler and it worked!! Instantly stopped ALL
the 250+ day emails I've been getting. How sweet it is!!

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

How is yours being
stopped at work with these tools?

Essentially, our tech sets up rules at the mail server for what is and
isn't allowed through. As well, our anti-virus server is constantly
updating its defs and is also set to quarantine any unknown attachment
and ask for help if it doesn't understand what's being sent.

Bottom line is nobody should be sending us executables via email.
Filter for that and all this worm crap goes away.

djb

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:53:27 GMT, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I've just had my 3,000th ! _Today_ !

And I thought I was getting nailed! Ouch!

Now 4,000 and counting.
However I've auto killed all but about 50 of the last 1,000