Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new refridgerator oil leaking???

I have a new refridgerator and I turned it up earlier today. This evening I
found a film of a while oil type substance along the front of the fridge on
the floor beneath the door. I can't figure out where it came from. The
reason I turned the fridge up as that I think it is not cooling like it
should. Are the two related? Also how cold should I be able to get a
fridge down to on its coolest setting? TIA
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:40:00 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

I have a new refridgerator and I turned it up earlier today. This evening I
found a film of a while oil type substance along the front of the fridge on
the floor beneath the door. I can't figure out where it came from. The
reason I turned the fridge up as that I think it is not cooling like it
should. Are the two related? Also how cold should I be able to get a
fridge down to on its coolest setting? TIA
Gary

The oil is sealed inside the compressor canister and should not leak.
Check for that leak. Warranty? The oil serves several functions. As
a lubricant of course, to dampen the compressor noise, to act as a
solvent for the refrigerant and to act as a "radiator" coolant. The
radiator functions by drawing oil from the bottom through the
compressor-motor shaft and flinging it out on top. The heat extracted
by the oil's passage through the shaft then runs down the wall of the
canister and yields it heat along the way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a new refridgerator and I turned it up earlier today. This evening
I found a film of a while oil type substance along the front of the fridge
on the floor beneath the door. I can't figure out where it came from. The
reason I turned the fridge up as that I think it is not cooling like it
should. Are the two related? Also how cold should I be able to get a
fridge down to on its coolest setting? TIA
Gary

Properly set, the temperature should be about 36 to 38 degrees. Get a
thermometer to be sure. Coldest setting will start to freeze stuff. I have
no idea about the oily stuff on the floor . How new is new? Under warranty?
If so, call the dealer and let them figure it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it's a frost free and I assume it is and you turned it hi then your
OIL maybe WATER overflow of the evaporater pan that collects the watr
when it goes into defrost cycle which normally evaporates as the
compressor runs. BY the way, did you read the instructions that came
with the unit? If not then do so thats what they were for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote in

I have a new refridgerator and I turned it up earlier today. This
evening I found a film of a while oil type substance along the front
of the fridge on the floor beneath the door. I can't figure out where
it came from. The reason I turned the fridge up as that I think it is
not cooling like it should. Are the two related? Also how cold
should I be able to get a fridge down to on its coolest setting? TIA
Gary

New-warranty-phone call to retailer-phone call to mfgr?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yup, I'll do that if I see the symptom again.

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote in

I have a new refridgerator and I turned it up earlier today. This
evening I found a film of a while oil type substance along the front
of the fridge on the floor beneath the door. I can't figure out where
it came from. The reason I turned the fridge up as that I think it is
not cooling like it should. Are the two related? Also how cold
should I be able to get a fridge down to on its coolest setting? TIA
Gary

New-warranty-phone call to retailer-phone call to mfgr?

refridgerator defrost zekor Home Repair 2 May 24th 07 01:09 PM
Water leaking from Hotpoint refridgerator [email protected] Home Ownership 1 July 26th 06 06:19 AM
Deepfreeze Refridgerator Wayne UK diy 2 May 6th 06 10:34 AM
GE Refridgerator not dispensing ice Aaron Home Repair 1 August 14th 05 12:45 AM
Refridgerator is warm Scott Home Repair 4 September 12th 04 01:14 AM