Scott

Default Refridgerator is warm

I have a Whirlpool side by side (ED25PExhw00). It is only 4 years
old.

We have noticed that the fridge side was getting warmer and we moved
the controls to the coldest setting.

I have never cleaned the coils. Not sure how that happened. I took
the front panel off and vaccuumed all that dust off. I also took the
back cardboard off and dusted the back off as well.

I did not replace the back cardboard (it also had some foam on it)
thinking that it was supposed to be removed after shipping. I was
worried that the coils were not getting enough air since the cardboard
(about 8 inches high and accross the entire back) only had some slits
in it.

After a couple of days, I measured the temp. The freezer is 20
degrees on coldest setting and the fridge is 56 degrees.

I checked the manual and have done everything I am supposed to do.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott Felten
HRL

One possibility is that the freezer area has an ice accumulation stopping
air flow. To get at it you have to remove the panel at the back of the
freezer section. Or just leave it unplugged for a while to see if it
clears up.

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tom

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Replace the cardboard on the back. It is suppose to be there so the fan
will direct the air in the right direction over the coils. Freezer should
be somewhere around 0 to 5 above and fresh food section about 42 degrees.
The defrost timer could be stuck in the on position causing the defost
heater to be on all the time. A worst case scenario is the the compresser
is shot. Is it running constantly...never cleaning the coils will shorten
the compressor life but I doubt four years would do it unless it was totally
plugged so no air was passing over the coils. I would have a serviceman
look at it...for what it's worth..Sears will send a man out, diagnose the
problem and give a cost to fix it for $60 (unless you're in Alaska or
Hawaii or some such exotic place) and give you a $65 coupon off a new refrig
if you choose not to repair. Compressor and sealed system have a 5 year
warranty, anyhow. Disclaimer: I work for Sears although not in service, but
as a sales associate.

TURTLE

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is Turtle.

First the card board on the back needs to be there and it will not work without
it. Put the card board back on it and then start testing again.

Second if it is low on freon and has a leak or a compressor problem. it's still
under warrenty for 5 years. Now Electric parts except the compressor it'self is
not under warranty.

Thid Start over with the card board back on it.

TURTLE

Stormin Mormon

More inserted.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
I have a Whirlpool side by side (ED25PExhw00). It is only 4 years
old.

We have noticed that the fridge side was getting warmer and we moved
the controls to the coldest setting.
SM: Bad move. Changing the controls won't help if the unit is broken.

I have never cleaned the coils. Not sure how that happened. I took
the front panel off and vaccuumed all that dust off. I also took the
back cardboard off and dusted the back off as well.
SM: Good move.

I did not replace the back cardboard (it also had some foam on it)
thinking that it was supposed to be removed after shipping.
SM: Bad move. Put the cardboard back on.

I was
worried that the coils were not getting enough air since the cardboard
(about 8 inches high and accross the entire back) only had some slits
in it.
SM: Put the cardbord back on. Its purpose is to direct the flow of air.

After a couple of days, I measured the temp. The freezer is 20
degrees on coldest setting and the fridge is 56 degrees.

I checked the manual and have done everything I am supposed to do.
Any suggestions?
SM: Put the cardboard back on. Set the knobs in the middle. If it isn't cold
the next day, call a repairman.

Thanks

Scott Felten