Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need flashlight that takes a regular edison light bulb

you know, the kind that you jsut screw in to any old light socket. I
need some kind of flashlight
so I can take it with me to areas with no electric socket available.
I don't want a regular scoop
light like I coudl get at any hardware store because that is not very
portable.

I have a reason for wanting it - I want to screw in my edison-type red
led light bulb
and take it to work with me. It's not one of those super-bright red
led flaslights,
it's a lot larger than that, but uses low watts.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Can I get this at some hardware
store?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen such a thing but I do know you can get 12V bulbs with that
kind of base. You could concievably convert an 8 D cell flashlight body by
kluging a reflector and socket onto the grip.

As for running a 120V bulb, Black and Decker haas a battery pack with built
in inverter with 16W, 120V output. You could use any modified lamp as the
holder.

Frankly you should just look for a low voltage red LED flashlight to meet
your needs. You may be able to replace the LEDs in a now cheap white or
blue LED flashlight. Maybe all you need is a diffuser.

Red lighting is useful in maintaining night vision when moving about dim and
dark areas.

"dumb_fishie99" wrote in message
you know, the kind that you jsut screw in to any old light socket. I
need some kind of flashlight
so I can take it with me to areas with no electric socket available.
I don't want a regular scoop
light like I coudl get at any hardware store because that is not very
portable.

I have a reason for wanting it - I want to screw in my edison-type red
led light bulb
and take it to work with me. It's not one of those super-bright red
led flaslights,
it's a lot larger than that, but uses low watts.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Can I get this at some hardware
store?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 3:59*pm, dumb_fishie99 wrote:
you know, the kind that you jsut screw in to any old light socket. *I
need some kind of flashlight
so I can take it with me to areas with no electric socket available.
I don't want a regular scoop
light like I coudl get at any hardware store because that is not very
portable.

I have a reason for wanting it - I want to screw in my edison-type red
led light bulb
and take it to work with me. It's not one of those super-bright red
led flaslights,
it's a lot larger than that, but uses low watts.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? *Can I get this at some hardware
store?

A waste of time, needing a screw bulb for a screwbulb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pipedown" wrote:

I've never seen such a thing but I do know you can get 12V bulbs with that
kind of base. You could concievably convert an 8 D cell flashlight body by
kluging a reflector and socket onto the grip.

As for running a 120V bulb, Black and Decker haas a battery pack with built
in inverter with 16W, 120V output. You could use any modified lamp as the
holder.

Frankly you should just look for a low voltage red LED flashlight to meet
your needs. You may be able to replace the LEDs in a now cheap white or
blue LED flashlight. Maybe all you need is a diffuser.

Red lighting is useful in maintaining night vision when moving about dim and
dark areas.

Maglite sells, or you could easily make your own, red filter for a
mini-mag. Pilots use them at night to read charts without screwing up
their night vision.

"dumb_fishie99" wrote in message
you know, the kind that you jsut screw in to any old light socket. I
need some kind of flashlight
so I can take it with me to areas with no electric socket available.
I don't want a regular scoop
light like I coudl get at any hardware store because that is not very
portable.

I have a reason for wanting it - I want to screw in my edison-type red
led light bulb
and take it to work with me. It's not one of those super-bright red
led flaslights,
it's a lot larger than that, but uses low watts.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Can I get this at some hardware
store?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone. I wanted real led lights, not a filter. I found
an "aviator" flashlight on ebay, so I will go with that, thanks
very much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pipedown" wrote:

Red lighting is useful in maintaining night vision when moving about dim and
dark areas.

Not true, you just need dim light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nick hull wrote:

In article ,
"Pipedown" wrote:

Red lighting is useful in maintaining night vision when moving about dim
and
dark areas.

Not true, you just need dim light.

Sorry, it is true. Dim red light dilates the pupils less than dim white
light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
nick hull wrote:

In article ,
"Pipedown" wrote:

Red lighting is useful in maintaining night vision when moving about dim
and
dark areas.

Not true, you just need dim light.

Sorry, it is true. Dim red light dilates the pupils less than dim white
light.

The dim white light can be dimmer than dim red light and still see what
you need. At equal energy you are right, but if you dim both so you can
just see they will be about equal.