Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Andrew Webber

Default "3-way bulb only, not regular A-19"???

I recently bought a cheap torchiere (the one on sale last week at
Canadian Tire, for anyone who cares). It uses regular bulbs instead
of halogen.

But both on the box and in the instructions, it says "This lamp uses a
150W max 3-way bulb, do not use an A-19". Now assuming A-19 is a
regular incandescent bulb, this seems quite strange. I've never heard
of not being able to use a 60W or 100W incandescent bulb in a socket
designed for 3-way. Of course it's on-on-off-off but it would still
work.

Is it really possible these instructions are accurate in this case?
And assuming they're not, presumably I could also use a
mini-fluorescent?

Thanks!
andrew

andrew ]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
Hagrinas Mivali

"Andrew Webber" wrote in message
news
I recently bought a cheap torchiere (the one on sale last week at
Canadian Tire, for anyone who cares). It uses regular bulbs instead
of halogen.

But both on the box and in the instructions, it says "This lamp uses a
150W max 3-way bulb, do not use an A-19". Now assuming A-19 is a
regular incandescent bulb, this seems quite strange. I've never heard
of not being able to use a 60W or 100W incandescent bulb in a socket
designed for 3-way. Of course it's on-on-off-off but it would still
work.

Is it really possible these instructions are accurate in this case?
And assuming they're not, presumably I could also use a
mini-fluorescent?

They are telling you not to use one, but they are not saying that it is
harmful or dangerous. Perhaps they are saying so because "on-on-off-off" =
"not working." They probably want to cut down on calls to their customer
service department.

Andrew Webber

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:42:15 -0700, "Hagrinas Mivali"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that (on-on-off-off = not working). I
guess I'll keep using a regular bulb (actually we _want_ to use a
tri-light in one).

=aw
andrew ]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
Bobby The D

Andrew Webber wrote in message news:

But both on the box and in the instructions, it says "This lamp uses a
150W max 3-way bulb, do not use an A-19". Now assuming A-19 is a
regular incandescent bulb, this seems quite strange. I've never heard
of not being able to use a 60W or 100W incandescent bulb in a socket
designed for 3-way.

Is an A-19 a regular bulb, or is it the designation for a halogen?
IIRC, halogen bulbs are not 120V, but some lower voltage. Maybe
that's what they're trying to tell you, since most of these lamps DO
use halogens.

Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM