Posted to alt.home.repair

Default best source for flashlight bulb?

Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:51�am, val189 wrote:
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. �Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

dont know but try a LED replacement, bulb and battery life skyrocket
Posted to alt.home.repair

"val189" wrote in message
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

How about your local hardware store? Home Depot also sells replacement
bulbs last time I looked. Failing that, you might try this, although it
looks a bit dubious to me:

http://www.eveready.com/contact_us.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"val189" wrote in message
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

Just about any GOOD hardware store. The last time I needed a bulb, the nearny
ace hardware had a huge selection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

val189 wrote:
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb.
Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:53 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb.
Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Have owned it for years and this is first time need to replace bulb.
I'd toss it but it's compact, converts to a standup lantern, is
completely rubber coated, and haven't seen another like it.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"val189" wrote in message
On Feb 1, 2:53 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb.
Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Have owned it for years and this is first time need to replace bulb.
I'd toss it but it's compact, converts to a standup lantern, is
completely rubber coated, and haven't seen another like it.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Always try HD last, and a locally owned hardware store first, unless you
have a spectacular reason to do the opposite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a mcmaster- carr catalog- it shows a bm17s at 4.5v (1 amp)#1505k121,
a pr13 at 4.74v (.5amp)#1505k31,a k13-krypton 4.8v (.70 amp)1505k142,a
kpr113 4.8v (.75 amp)1505k143, and a r60 xenon 4.8v (1.1 amp)1505k361 Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Always try HD last, and a locally owned hardware store first, unless
you have a spectacular reason to do the opposite.

Bigger is often better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Always try HD last, and a locally owned hardware store first, unless
you have a spectacular reason to do the opposite.

Bigger is often better.

Not in my experience. HD blows goats. Lowe's is orders of magnitude
better but less convenient. I have 3-4 small local stores farther away
than HD but within a 5 mile radius, all are infinitely preferable to
that Orange-Colored Store (tm.)

I usually leave HD in a seething rage because a) they don't have
something basic and common, b) their help doesn't speak english and/or
seems to take enjoyment in directing me to odd corners of the store
looking for something that they don't have, c) the clientele is
generally ruder and less able to get around without blocking your way
than soccer moms at the grocery store or any combination of the above.

Sadly I am still forced to patronize HD as all but one of the small
stores closes at 6 PM. there is a real business opportunity here for
anyone who has the desire to run a real hardware store...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:53:21 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

val189 wrote:
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb.

N he does not. The internal resistance of the cells, which for 4AA is
fairly high, decrease their effective output - that is why he needs a bulb
that is rated for less than 6 volts.

Go to your local hardware store. It might be hard to find a bulb rated for
4 AAs. In a pinch you can use one rated for 4 D cells - it will burn
slightly dimmer when used with AA cells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 04:07:04a, Nate Nagel told us...

Try RadioShack or http://www.bulbtown.com/Flashlight_Bulbs_s/593.htm

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
The truth of a proposition has nothing
to do with its credibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Like I said, closer and open later: Better.

You just need more experience:

1. Shop there more often and you'll learn where everything is located.
2. Use the self-service check-out lanes to avoid the staff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , HeyBub wrote:
val189 wrote:
Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at
West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help.
Any good online sites for bulb suppliers?
Thanks

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb.
Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Flashlight bulbs are normally rated for 1.2 to 1.25 volts per cell.
This is because that's what on average they see, due to batteries losing
voltage with use, and also with voltage being loaded down due to internal
resistance of the battery.

For that matter, they are usually rated to last anywhere from 15 to 35
hours at such voltage.

There are bulbs for 5-cell flashlights rated about 6 volts, but they
will be somewhat dim and a little yellowish with 4 cells.

I would suggest an LED retrofit. A suitable one may turn up at Target.

Otherwise, I suggest getting an LED flashlight. Nowadays, there are
ones better than incandescent ones.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , patrick mitchel wrote:

I have a mcmaster- carr catalog- it shows a bm17s at 4.5v (1 amp)#1505k121,
a pr13 at 4.74v (.5amp)#1505k31,a k13-krypton 4.8v (.70 amp)1505k142,a
kpr113 4.8v (.75 amp)1505k143, and a r60 xenon 4.8v (1.1 amp)1505k361 Pat

For AA cells, I would suggest avoiding the higher current ones unless
you have good NiCd or NiMH ones, preferably NiMH ones that are compatible
with charging in 30 minutes or less.

Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries are less good for flashlights
that are only used infrequently and need to be ready for emergencies.
Rechargeable batteries often self-discharge within a few months.

- Don Klipstein )