geoff smith

Default L.E.D Flashlight

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

CJT

geoff smith wrote:
I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

Probably about as well as one can shake it. Maybe Fox could use it on
their new dance contest show.

dave @ stejonda

In message , geoff
smith writes
I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

from http://www.generationgear.com/produc...echnology.html

"
It all started back in 1830 when the English physicist Michael Faraday
discovered that passing a magnet near a wire coil could induce an
electric current in the wire. This "Faraday Principle" forms the
foundation for all of today's electric motors, generators, &
transformers.

Generation Gear has taken this principle to the next level. We have
combined it with two advanced semiconductor devices to create a
flashlight that never needs batteries!

Shaking the ShakeLight will cause a magnet to slide back and forth
inside the flashlight handle. As it does so, it passes through a copper
coil, thereby inducing a current in the coil's wire. This current is
then stored inside an electronic component called a capacitor which in
turn provides power to the LED (Light Emitting Diode).
"

--
dave @ stejonda

Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.
NSM

"geoff smith" wrote in message
.uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

It's like a reverse vibrator.

Jim Yanik

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
:

In message , geoff
smith writes
[...]

A local TV news consumer segment did a test on these LED lights and found
them to not be very useful,nor worth the money.They dim very quickly.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

CJT

NSM wrote:
"geoff smith" wrote in message
.uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

It's like a reverse vibrator.

I think it would have to be a solar powered vibrator to make the analogy
work.

James Jones

Jim Yanik wrote:
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
:

In message , geoff
smith writes

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by
shaking it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

from http://www.generationgear.com/produc...echnology.html

A local TV news consumer segment did a test on these LED lights and found
them to not be very useful,nor worth the money.They dim very quickly.

All they need is an appropriate celebrity to endorse and demonstrate it.
Somebody like Michael J. Fox or Muhammad Ali. ;-)
Michael Black

CJT ) writes:
NSM wrote:
"geoff smith" wrote in message
.uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

It's like a reverse vibrator.

I think it would have to be a solar powered vibrator to make the analogy
work.

Actually, the vibrators I've taken apart have a cheap DC motor in them,
and then a weight on the shaft that is asymmetrical. So when the motor
turns, there is an imbalance, hence the vibrations.

The concept of a reverse vibrator is that if you shake it, you get power,
while a vibrator shakes when you apply power.

But since there is a motor in there, it's not a great analogy. Everyone
knows that an electrical motor can generate power if you turn the shaft.
You aren't likely to be able to rotate the shaft of the vibrator motor
by shaking it, so it's not a reversible concept.

Let's not forget those cheap DC motors have magnets in them, and
a winding. Not really different from the concept of those flashlights.
The difference being the mechanical arrangement. Instead of turning
the shaft to get voltage, there is a more free-form generator that
works when you shake it.

Indeed, I have a windup LED flashlight, and I assume the only real
difference is that I crank it to charge it, rather than shake it.

Michael

James Sweet

A local TV news consumer segment did a test on these LED lights and found
them to not be very useful,nor worth the money.They dim very quickly.

I played with one in a store once that worked ok, but it did take a lot of
shaking to charge it up. Would be good as an emergency backup as the
batteries can never go dead.

Asimov

"NSM" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Jul 05 21:34:29)
--- on the heady topic of " L.E.D Flashlight"

NS From: "NSM"
NS Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:53131

NS "geoff smith" wrote in message
NS .uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

NS It's like a reverse vibrator.

Don't excite the ladies needlessly by using those words, please...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!

Tom Del Rosso

"NSM" wrote in message

"geoff smith" wrote in message
.uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by

shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

It's like a reverse vibrator.

And it's very difficult to activate without making an obscene gesture.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

none

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:26:52 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"NSM" wrote in message

"geoff smith" wrote in message
.uk...

I have seen an advert for an L.E.D flashlight that is activated by

shaking
it,there are no batteries.
How does it work ?

It's like a reverse vibrator.

And it's very difficult to activate without making an obscene gesture.

I hear you can go blind if you use it too much also.

Tom Del Rosso

"none" wrote in message

I hear you can go blind if you use it too much also.

Yeah, the UV output is pretty high.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Allodoxaphobia

On 14 Jul 2005 02:20:53 GMT, Michael Black wrote:

Actually, the vibrators I've taken apart .....

STOP right there! Thank you. :-)

Eric

Big magnetic going past a coil, generator power to charge a capacitor, that
runs the LED

keep away from your credit cards, phone cards or any other card that has a
magnetic strip on it.