Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use regular bulb in fans

Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan?
The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating
suggested by the fan.

Thanks
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob,

Yes, it's safe. The bulb life may be shortened by the vibration.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other issue is fit. The fan bulbs are physically smaller. Regular
ones in my experience, are often too big.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan?
The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating
suggested by the fan.

It will light OK, but you could get into big legal trouble. When the
inspectors come to see if you still have all those "Do Not Remove Under
Penalty of the Law" tags on your pillows and mattresses, they will cite you
for a standard bulb in the fan. None of my business what you do, but I'd
not take the chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan?
The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating
suggested by the fan.

Thanks
Bob

Of course it's safe; the only real difference between "fan rated" and
"normal" is that the fan-rated lamps can handle the vibration better. If it
requires a stepladder to replace the lamps, then that would be an argument
for fan-rated lamps, otherwise use the regular lamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

they have mini CF that save energy, soon regular bulb production will
be illegal

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 22 May 2007 02:39:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan?
The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating
suggested by the fan.

It will light OK, but you could get into big legal trouble. When the
inspectors come to see if you still have all those "Do Not Remove Under
Penalty of the Law" tags on your pillows and mattresses,

I know a guy who knows a guy who sells those things, and I can get you
some. They are forged in China, but look very authentic. They're
pretty expensive, but worth it.

they will cite you
for a standard bulb in the fan. None of my business what you do, but I'd
not take the chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:35:10 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi

Is it safe to use a regular bulb (not rated as a fan bulb) in a fan?
The wattage rating of the regular bulb would not exceed the rating
suggested by the fan.

Thanks
Bob

Of course it's safe; the only real difference between "fan rated" and
"normal" is that the fan-rated lamps can handle the vibration better. If it
requires a stepladder to replace the lamps, then that would be an argument
for fan-rated lamps, otherwise use the regular lamps.

A have a couple of fans that won't allow you to put the light globe
back on with a regular bulb. It's just a little too small.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster