Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default FAQ: uk.d-i-y (regular posting).

Relevant commercial advertising IS acceptable in uk.d-i-y. Your
advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement
Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited
but relevant advertising is not considered abuse.

For information on real DIY matters, see http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:29:09 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

Relevant commercial advertising IS acceptable in uk.d-i-y. Your
advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement
Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited
but relevant advertising is not considered abuse.

For information on real DIY matters, see http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Have I missed something here? I thought the protocol was that vendors of
goods and services were welcome to mention them in relevant, on-topic
contributions to existing discussions (e.g. when someone asks about
their Suprima locking out raden will post that CET do replacement
PCBs) but I don't recall any discussion on unsolicited ads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On 28 Jun 2006 10:29:09 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

Relevant commercial advertising IS acceptable

No it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Relevant commercial advertising IS acceptable in uk.d-i-y. Your
advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement
Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited
but relevant advertising is not considered abuse.

For information on real DIY matters, see http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Abuse report sent.

If anyone else can be bothered doing the same then the abuse reporting
details are below:

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:16:46 +0100
Subject: Abuse report: Commercial advertising

Group: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Jun 2006 10:29:09 +0200
Date: 20 Jun 2006 10:19:34 +0200

Hi Folks,

The x-privat.org user identified in the sample header below is abusing
your service by repeatedly posting invitations to place commercial
advertising in the usenet group uk.d-i-y where commercial advertising is
prohibited by the established FAQ.

The long established FAQ for this group may found at:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/ which contains the following proscription
against commercial advertising:

quote
Can I advertise on uk.d-i-y?

COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING IS FORBIDDEN ON UK.D-I-Y. This is an
interactive
forum, and the good "signal to noise ratio" of uk.d-i-y will be spoilt
by those who selfishly exploit it. If you want to advertise, go to
news:uk.adverts.. (etc) or start an appropriate newsgroup (see
http://www.usenet.org.uk). If you do abuse this newsgroup with
commercial adverts ("spamming"), be aware that uk.d-i-y has experts who
have successfully had spammers disconnected from the net. You will also
find that the response from its loyal and close-knit readership will be
counterproductive: readers will actively avoid your products and no
longer recommend them to others.
end quote

If you could discourage this user from this practice in future I would
be greatly obliged.

Regards,

quote
From: Chris Bacon
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: FAQ: uk.d-i-y (regular posting).
Date: 28 Jun 2006 10:29:09 +0200
m!easyn
ews.com!easynews!n
ewsfeed.news2me.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.cw.n et!cw.net!news-
FFM2.ecrc.de!news.m-
online.net!news.code-werk.net!news.mb-net.net!open-news-
network.org!eleo
nora.aioe.org!aioe.org!newsf
eed.x-privat.org!newsgate.x-privat.org!not-for-mail

--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:30:58 GMT, John Stumbles wrote:

I don't recall any discussion on unsolicited ads.

There was none, Bacon is a trolling, brainless ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John Stumbles
writes

It's just Bacon being a **** as usual

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , fred writes

Abuse report sent.

If anyone else can be bothered doing the same then the abuse reporting
details are below:

Already done so

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , raden
writes
In message , fred writes

Abuse report sent.

If anyone else can be bothered doing the same then the abuse reporting
details are below:

Already done so

Cheers, my complaint should, of course, have referred to _unsolicited_
advertising. If someone asks, 'does anyone know who makes/supplies B
widgets' then the maker/supplier of B widgets is v welcome to chip in with
no complaint from me. I think the example set by contributors to
uk.telecom.mobile who happen to be in the business is a good model in
this respect.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , fred writes
In article , raden
writes
In message , fred writes

Abuse report sent.

If anyone else can be bothered doing the same then the abuse reporting
details are below:

Already done so

Cheers, my complaint should, of course, have referred to _unsolicited_
advertising. If someone asks, 'does anyone know who makes/supplies B
widgets' then the maker/supplier of B widgets is v welcome to chip in with
no complaint from me. I think the example set by contributors to
uk.telecom.mobile who happen to be in the business is a good model in
this respect.

"Dear Sir,

the user's account has been already closed yesterday.

Best regards
X-Privat Team"

--
geoff
[...]