Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge not as cold anymore

I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 10:59 am, Arinté wrote:
I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks

May take it awhile (couple days) to cool down, other than that step
back & punt ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gnu/linux" wrote in message
On May 26, 10:59 am, Arinté wrote:
I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge,
it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night
before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of
water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but
the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it
used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the
whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks

Are you sure you didnt bump the temp. knob?
Tony

May take it awhile (couple days) to cool down, other than that step
back & punt ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:59:46 -0400, Arinté wrote:

I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks

The most likely problem is ice buildup on the freezer coils
themselves. Ice acts as an insulator (O deg C)and the cold in the
coils (minus 10 deg C?) never gets to be (fan) blown to the rest of
your freezer. When that happened to my fridge I popped out the
freezer panels and there it was a solid wall of ice around the bottom
four coils that had built up over the years. It took six hours to
melt all that ice. Don't try to chip the ice or apply heat to the
coils. It might damage the coils or cook the refrigerant.

If you look at the freezer panels the front lip slides under the front
bezel. The front floor panel corner is held down by a metal stud on
either side. Undo the back panel screws and remove the back panel.
Push the side panels in so that the studs will move far back enough
for the floor panel to come off.

Since this is the first time it happened to you perhaps you can get
away with defrosting the fridge. Remove all the fridge contents.
Switch off the fridge and leave the door open overnight and maybe
longer to melt the frosted on ice. That worked for me in many earlier
"won't cool the fridge compartment" problems. Eventually the ice
buildup was too thick. I was on the point of dumping my 30 year old
fridge. Since I was resigned to paying for a replacement I took apart
those panels and it wouldn't have mattered if I screwed up. I didn't
and my fridge works as good as new now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 10:59*am, Arinté wrote:
I blame myself, I was being lazy. *I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. *I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. *I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
* and made sure it closed. *The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. *Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. *What can I do?

Thanks

All that warm humid air may have iced the coils overnight, as said you
might need to thaw it out a day but wait and see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Like you, I had to take my ice freezer compartment apart.

Once apart I saw that the ice "jam" had really penetrated a lot of places
and, indeed, some of the foam insulation was "ice logged." In my case, the
situation started when the ice maker failed and partly flooded the interior.

We are "semi-rural" but I will take down the measurements and keep a lookout
for a replacement but I can make do indefinitely.

When I suspect that the machine is "slacking off" I just manually advance
the defrost timer to get an extra cycle.

My machine isn't 30 years old but it does have the Montgomery Wards label so
it's no spring chicken.

It was clear to me that had I just tried to defront the unit, the hidden ice
likely would not have melted for DAYS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
[...]

It is possible that therefrigerator is cooled by airflow over the freezer
coils so you may have to defrost that side.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Young" wrote in message news:c7-
The most likely problem is ice buildup on the freezer coils
themselves.

It is possible that therefrigerator is cooled by airflow over the freezer
coils so you may have to defrost that side.

Don Young

If it is in fact the coil frozen, you also have to find the reason and fix
that. Chances are the defrost cycle is messed up or the evaporator fan is
not blowing properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 26, 10:59 am, Arinté wrote:
I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks

All that warm humid air may have iced the coils overnight, as said you
might need to thaw it out a day but wait and see.

Seems waiting did the trick. Its quiet now and my juice is cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:23*pm, Arinté wrote:
ransley wrote:
On May 26, 10:59 am, Arinté wrote:
I blame myself, I was being lazy. *I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge, it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. *I stuff the freezer part the night before
and the door didn't close good. *I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of water
* and made sure it closed. *The freezer seems to be working fine now, but the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. *Also now the whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. *What can I do?

Thanks

All that warm humid air may have iced the coils overnight, as said you
might need to thaw it out a day but wait and see.

Seems waiting did the trick. *Its quiet now and my juice is cold.

If its ok now, auto defrost worked. But you would be smart eating the
food and defrosting it manualy
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 28, 6:23 pm, Arinté wrote:

ransley wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I'd make sure fan and defrost timer is in good working order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 8:04*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Don Young" wrote in message news:c7-
The most likely problem is ice buildup on the freezer coils
themselves.

It is possible that therefrigerator is cooled by airflow over the freezer
coils so you may have to defrost that side.

Don Young

If it is in fact the coil frozen, you also have to find the reason and fix
that. *Chances are the defrost cycle is messed up or the evaporator fan is
not blowing properly.

Just went through that with my side-by-side. The defrost heater
wasn't working, Technician put in a new one. Even having he had
defrosted all the visible ice first it still took 2 days before I
didn't find a puddle of water on the floor in the mornings as the
heater was clearing out the hidden ice. Replacement part wasn't all
that expensive but the service call was of course. Happens again, I
will know how to fix it myself.

Harry K

Fridge too cold pipedown Home Repair 3 March 3rd 08 12:36 AM
Fridge not getting so cold now ... suggestions Jethro UK diy 5 September 19th 07 07:37 PM
Fridge not getting cold. Platebanger Home Repair 6 April 12th 05 02:16 AM
fridge not cold ... Stormin Mormon Home Repair 2 September 12th 04 05:49 AM