Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge not getting so cold now ... suggestions

Hi all

the built-under fridge we had when we moved in (it's about 8 years old
now) is not keeping things as cold as it used to ... it seems well
ventilated, but the compressor seems to run more than it used to.

Could it have leaked refridgerant, and if so, are there places that
can re-gas, or am I doomed to get a new one ?

Anyone else suggest possible causes and checks ?

thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 04:25:37 -0700, Jethro
wrote:

Hi all

the built-under fridge we had when we moved in (it's about 8 years old
now) is not keeping things as cold as it used to ... it seems well
ventilated, but the compressor seems to run more than it used to.

Could it have leaked refridgerant, and if so, are there places that
can re-gas, or am I doomed to get a new one ?

Anyone else suggest possible causes and checks ?

thanks in advance

Pull it out and give the back a vaccum first - give it a clean and
make sure the overflow bit at the back isn't blocked.
Get a thermometer and check what temperature it's getting to. Does the
thermostat in it make a difference?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

the built-under fridge we had when we moved in (it's about 8 years old
now) is not keeping things as cold as it used to ... it seems well
ventilated, but the compressor seems to run more than it used to.

Could it have leaked refridgerant, and if so, are there places that
can re-gas, or am I doomed to get a new one ?

Anyone else suggest possible causes and checks ?

thanks in advance

Pull it out and give the back a vaccum first - give it a clean and
make sure the overflow bit at the back isn't blocked.

Interesting, what does the "overflow" bit do ?

Get a thermometer and check what temperature it's getting to. Does the
thermostat in it make a difference?

I'll need the thermometer to check .... !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

the built-under fridge we had when we moved in (it's about 8 years old
now) is not keeping things as cold as it used to ... it seems well
ventilated, but the compressor seems to run more than it used to.

Could it have leaked refridgerant, and if so, are there places that
can re-gas, or am I doomed to get a new one ?

Anyone else suggest possible causes and checks ?

thanks in advance

Pull it out and give the back a vaccum first - give it a clean and
make sure the overflow bit at the back isn't blocked.

Interesting, what does the "overflow" bit do ?

it just drains away the drips from inside - they're easy to block up
and although it might not affect the temperature of the fridge it's a
good idea to have a look at it too. There'll be a little dray it drips
into at the back and then evaporates from.

Get a thermometer and check what temperature it's getting to. Does the
thermostat in it make a difference?

I'll need the thermometer to check .... !

If you've over filled the fridge and the air can't get round that'll
complicate things too.
I'd have thought if coolant had leaked then it'd all have leaked
though.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mogga
writes
There'll be a little dray it drips into at the back and then evaporates
from.

although most people don't have space for one of those (and they do tend
to kick after a while) so use a tray which sits on the compressor.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:33:20 +0100, Si $3o&m wrote:

In message , Mogga
writes
There'll be a little dray it drips into at the back and then evaporates
from.

although most people don't have space for one of those (and they do tend
to kick after a while) so use a tray which sits on the compressor.

Ah but you get more beer on a dray.