Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge has ice up the back, but doesn't seem to be cold !

We have a fridge freezer, the freezer seems to be fine but the fridge
is not very cold. There is quite a lot of space at the back of the
unit so I don't think that is the problem. I've just defrosted it, and
that didn't seem to help.

Strangly, if I really turn the unit to max cold (only one control which
sets both freezer and fridge), ice seems to build up at the back of the
fridge, but the whole fridge doesn't seem to get very cold.

This seems really odd to me, how can the back freeze but stuff in the
door stay luke warm.

If there usually come kind of fan (which might have broken) to blow air
around the fridge from the freezer ?

Would appreciate any help or advice. Its a decent Bosch unit, but is
getting a little old now, maybe its time to get a new one.

Chees

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same thing happen to my Kenmore. It iced up/froze so bad
inside that there was no air circulating to the refrigerator. Once I
took off the back of the freezer compartment, from the inside, I could
see how badly it was frozed. Had to deice for 24 hours or longer to
get it to all melt. Then it was fine again for 6 months. Finally got
a new more efficient model.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Defrost it for a day you may have cooling passages blocked, yes a fan
should be running so if it doesnt cool right then, get a repairman out,
it could be a few thing wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair
W. Wells

I saw on tv that if your frig is over 15 years old it is time to buy a new
one, even if the present one works fine. The new ones are so much more
effecient.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I had the same thing happen to my Kenmore. It iced up/froze so bad
inside that there was no air circulating to the refrigerator. Once I
took off the back of the freezer compartment, from the inside, I could
see how badly it was frozed. Had to deice for 24 hours or longer to
get it to all melt. Then it was fine again for 6 months. Finally got
a new more efficient model.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Its a decent Bosch unit
We have a fridge freezer

Model#?
Cycle defrost, frost free, manual defrost?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

E-NR KGV2604-GB/01

I think the fridge is auto defrost, but the freezer isn't. It was
bought it 1996, so isn't that old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, I left it unplugged for at least 15 hours, and put some bowls of
hot water in it. I think it was fully defrosted. Maybe it is the fan !
Should you be able to feel cold air being blown into the fridge ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

unplug, open all doors.
remove service kickplate and clean all coils below or behind which are
full of dirt and dog hair.
blow 24 hours with a 20 inch window fan at room temperature.
during this time, refer to this website:

http://fixitnow.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Strangly, if I really turn the unit to max cold (only one control which
sets both freezer and fridge), ice seems to build up at the back of the
fridge, but the whole fridge doesn't seem to get very cold.

This seems really odd to me, how can the back freeze but stuff in the
door stay luke warm.

Not strange once you find the culprit. Good chance the evaporator fan motor
is shot. It is behind a panel somplace. Find it, check it out and replace
if needed.

www.repairclinic.com will have some info.

Could be a couple of other things also. It will have to be defrosted to get
rid of any buildup.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

UK product?

I think the fridge is auto defrost, but the freezer isn't

Sounds like a cycle defrost....FF section frosts up and defrost itself
when the unit cycles off, the freezer is a manual defrost. These oftne
have an evaporator that frosts up between the walls in the back of the
FF section to cool the FF section, and -often- do not have a fan.

ice seems to build up at the back of the
fridge, but the whole fridge doesn't seem to get very cold.

Weak refrigeration system ( compressor, gas charge ), light staying on
inside when the door is closed, control not staying on long enough are
-some- possible trouble makers.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

it sounds like you have a defrost problem and i think buffalobill hit
close to the anwser to the problem.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gingertoad

buffalobill Wrote:
unplug, open all doors.
remove service kickplate and clean all coils below or behind which are
full of dirt and dog hair.
blow 24 hours with a 20 inch window fan at room temperature.

I had the same problem a few years ago. A handyman (there to adjust my
furnace) gave me the same advice Buffalo Bill gives here. He took off a
plate on the back of the fridge and I was appalled and embarrassed at
the amount of dog hair and dust that was clinging to the coils. He said
that lots of folks fail to keep the coils clean and end up with a warm
fridge, and that people need to be diligent about vacuuming the back of
the fridge. We vacuumed the coils and voila! my fridge began functioning
properly again.

So it's worth checking the coils for dust and hair. Good luck!

--
Gingertoad