Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Fridge not as cold anymore

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:59:46 -0400, Arinté wrote:

I blame myself, I was being lazy. I have a side by side Kenmore Fridge,
it is
relatively new it was bought in 05. I stuff the freezer part the night
before
and the door didn't close good. I closed it up after cleaning up a lot of
water
and made sure it closed. The freezer seems to be working fine now, but
the
fridge part isn't as cold anymore the juice is nowhere near as cold as it
used
to be but it is cool enough for the butter to stay solid. Also now the
whole
fridge is audibly humming constantly whereas before it was every once in a
while. What can I do?

Thanks

The most likely problem is ice buildup on the freezer coils
themselves. Ice acts as an insulator (O deg C)and the cold in the
coils (minus 10 deg C?) never gets to be (fan) blown to the rest of
your freezer. When that happened to my fridge I popped out the
freezer panels and there it was a solid wall of ice around the bottom
four coils that had built up over the years. It took six hours to
melt all that ice. Don't try to chip the ice or apply heat to the
coils. It might damage the coils or cook the refrigerant.

If you look at the freezer panels the front lip slides under the front
bezel. The front floor panel corner is held down by a metal stud on
either side. Undo the back panel screws and remove the back panel.
Push the side panels in so that the studs will move far back enough
for the floor panel to come off.

Since this is the first time it happened to you perhaps you can get
away with defrosting the fridge. Remove all the fridge contents.
Switch off the fridge and leave the door open overnight and maybe
longer to melt the frosted on ice. That worked for me in many earlier
"won't cool the fridge compartment" problems. Eventually the ice
buildup was too thick. I was on the point of dumping my 30 year old
fridge. Since I was resigned to paying for a replacement I took apart
those panels and it wouldn't have mattered if I screwed up. I didn't
and my fridge works as good as new now.

It is possible that therefrigerator is cooled by airflow over the freezer
coils so you may have to defrost that side.

Don Young