Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why not nails?

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/21/2008 9:48 AM JC said the following:
A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those
deck boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

Cause screws hold better than nails?????

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 5/21/2008 9:48 AM JC said the following:
A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

Cause screws hold better than nails?????

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Because screws make anal type people much happier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in
m:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

deck boards move due to outdoor moisture and temperature changes and the
nails pop out. Screws will not pop out.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

Good points all but I just finished the deck with nails. I just like that
macho feel when that nail gun goes bang. I used ring shank so maybe they
won't pop and if I have to remove a board I'll just grind the head off.

Thanks for the responses.

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/21/2008 11:59 AM Smitty Two said the following:
In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

And every couple of years, you don't have to go around with a hammer to
knock a bunch of nail heads back in, especially on an older deck.
And nobody say I shoulda used the spiral shanked deck nails, cause
that's what I'm hammering back in.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 11:46 am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"JC" wrote . com:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

deck boards move due to outdoor moisture and temperature changes and the
nails pop out. Screws will not pop out.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

My screws are slowing backing themselves out. Some move almost 1/4-
inch/year.

Freaky.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot dipped galvanized is ok also for the new PT boards. And that's why
should be used outdoors anyway.

wrote in message

You are aware that the treated wood they sell these days require
stainless steel nails or screws, right? If you used plain steel
nails, they will rust/corrode in a few years or less because of all
the copper in the recent treated wood. If you used stainless nails in
your nail gun, I did not know they made stainless gun nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

Good points all but I just finished the deck with nails. I just like that
macho feel when that nail gun goes bang. I used ring shank so maybe they
won't pop and if I have to remove a board I'll just grind the head off.

You'll really love the macho feel when the head of a nail snags your skin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

Good points all but I just finished the deck with nails. I just like that
macho feel when that nail gun goes bang. I used ring shank so maybe they
won't pop and if I have to remove a board I'll just grind the head off.

You'll really love the macho feel when the head of a nail snags your skin.

Just so you can have that great "I told ya so" feeling, when it happens,
I'll report it right here.
--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
m...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"JC" wrote:

[...]

I'm the king of worst case scenarios. You'll snag your shoe on a nail, trip,
and your head will hit a clay planter, which will shatter, and a sharp edge
will cut the veins in your neck. One of your kids will find you and scream,
which will bring the dog running out to see what's up. Both kid and dog will
spend the rest of their lives in therapy, like Woody Allen.

All because you used nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

All because you used nails. And a kitten died.

I though kittens only died when you masturbated?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski posted for all of us...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

All because you used nails. And a kitten died.

I though kittens only died when you masturbated?

I thought his majik undies was supposed to prevent that but I guess that is
another falsehood...
--
Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:11 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

All because you used nails. And a kitten died.

I though kittens only died when you masturbated?

No, that's only when you jerk the gherkin, Ed....a lot of dead kittens
around here now that I think about it. =:O

A whole lot of nails Dave In Houston Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 November 17th 07 03:19 PM
Which nails to use Chris Styles UK diy 23 October 28th 06 09:28 PM
The nails Torge Home Repair 4 September 2nd 06 04:41 PM
2' Nails [email protected] UK diy 7 April 3rd 06 05:19 PM
no nails shushin UK diy 8 May 7th 05 07:30 PM