Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Why not nails?

on 5/21/2008 11:59 AM Smitty Two said the following:
In article ,
"JC" wrote:

A friend was talking to my wife and said "I wouldn't install those deck
boards with a nail gun, I'd use screws instead".

The wife didn't think to ask why not so I will. Why not?

I'm not your wife's friend, so I can't speak for that individual. I used
screws on my deck because they look better, can be easily countersunk,
don't split the wood, and allow for easier removal when I want to
replace a board, or remove one or more boards to deal with an issue
under the deck.

And every couple of years, you don't have to go around with a hammer to
knock a bunch of nail heads back in, especially on an older deck.
And nobody say I shoulda used the spiral shanked deck nails, cause
that's what I'm hammering back in.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY