Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric fixture not working

I bought this sconce light, which I am attaching to an outlet
controlled by a dimmer switch.

The electrical outlet gets the 110V as expected before attaching the
light.
After attaching the light, I put my multimeter probes into the socket
where the bulb should go and can see the 110 V. But when I put the
bulb in, it does not light up

I thought that the socket inside might be pushed all the way back and
hence bulb not making contact, but I don't think thats the case.
Interestingly, when I put in a fluorescent bulb instead, it just has a
small flicker going.

Any ideas ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slain,

Are you reasonably sure that you have wired the sconce correctly? Are
you reasonably sure that the incandescent bulb is good? Does the dimmer
decrease the voltage, as measured by your multimeter at the sconce?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slain wrote:
I bought this sconce light, which I am attaching to an outlet
controlled by a dimmer switch.

The electrical outlet gets the 110V as expected before attaching the
light.
After attaching the light, I put my multimeter probes into the socket
where the bulb should go and can see the 110 V. But when I put the
bulb in, it does not light up

I thought that the socket inside might be pushed all the way back and
hence bulb not making contact, but I don't think thats the case.
Interestingly, when I put in a fluorescent bulb instead, it just has a
small flicker going.

Any ideas ?

First idea is that the bulb might be burned out. Didja check that?

Next idea is that you may be using an "electronic meter" which is not
giving you a fair reading because it doesen't load the circuit enough or
it doesen't average average the dimmer voltage chopping the way an
analog meter will.

Pull the plug a little way out of the outlet and touch your meter probes
to the plug prongs while the light bulb is screwed in and the dimmer
switch is turned fukll on. If your meter doesent read line voltage then,
you may have a bad dimmer switch or a "loose disconnection" somewhere.

Next thought is that I'm suprised it's code compliant to use a dimmer
switch ahead of an outlet. Can someone knowledgeable clue me in about that?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 1:22 pm, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Slain,

Are you reasonably sure that you have wired the sconce correctly? Are
you reasonably sure that the incandescent bulb is good? Does the dimmer
decrease the voltage, as measured by your multimeter at the sconce?

Dave M.

Yes!!!! The wiring is straightforward!!!! black to black and white to
white

Also, I would not receive any power at the socket of the fixture if
that was incorrect.

The bulbs are good. Tested them at other places.

The dimmer I keep it at max to ensure that I am getting the max
power...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes the current is coming to the outlet. I understand that the
millimeter can be sensitive, but when I turn the dimmer off, I don't
receive any power at the electrical outlet.

I tried both a fluorescent and a normal bulb for testing. And yes both
of them work

On Apr 26, 2:02 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
"Slain" wrote in message

I bought this sconce light, which I am attaching to an outlet
controlled by a dimmer switch.

Could you clarify that? Is the current going to the outlet (plug in,
not a fixture for a bulb)? If so ... Bad! don't control any outlet with a
dimmer.

The electrical outlet gets the 110V as expected before attaching the
light.
After attaching the light, I put my multimeter probes into the socket
where the bulb should go and can see the 110 V. But when I put the
bulb in, it does not light up

A _digital_ multimeter is very sensitive and can pick up 120V on a line
not directly connected to any power source if the wires from it come close
to an line that is powered.

I thought that the socket inside might be pushed all the way back and
hence bulb not making contact, but I don't think thats the case.
Interestingly, when I put in a fluorescent bulb instead, it just has a
small flicker going.

This would tend to indicate that my comment on meters may be correct and
you have a line that is NOT connected to a live circuit, but is picking up a
little current from a live line close to it.

BTW if you are planning on using a fluorescent lamp on a dimmer, make
sure it is suitable for use on a dimmer. If it does not specifically say it
is, then it is likely not and could be a hazard if used with one.

Any ideas ?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Slain" wrote in message

[...]

*Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

.
Sounds like rather basic trouble shooting situation: One suggestion
is.
Hook it up without the dimmer, by bypassing the dimmer temporarily
(you may find there is a black IN and a black OUT; try joining them
together), and see if the bulb lights up. If not there is break or
disconnection in the black wiring or the white unswitched and undimmed
neutral wire is open somewhere or for some reason.
Do not trust an electronic meter to measure voltages; even cheap
meters can be so sensitive that they can pick up voltage induced into
dead broken or disconnected wires from adjacent working conductors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slain,

I'd suspect that the bulb and the sconce socket are not making contact.
With the power off try bending the socket contact up a bit. With a towel
wrapped around the bulb try screwing the bulb in a little tighter. Try
another bulb.

Dave M.