Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electric fixture not working

On Apr 26, 4:08*pm, Slain wrote:
Yes the current is coming to the outlet. I understand that the
millimeter can be sensitive, but when I turn the dimmer off, I don't
receive any power at the electrical outlet.

I tried both a fluorescent and a normal bulb for testing. And yes both
of them work

On Apr 26, 2:02 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"Slain" wrote in message

I bought this sconce light, which I am attaching to an outlet
controlled by a dimmer switch.

* * Could you clarify that? *Is the current going to the outlet (plug in,
not a fixture for a bulb)? *If so ... Bad! *don't control any outlet with a
dimmer.

The electrical outlet gets the 110V as expected before attaching the
light.
After attaching the light, I put my multimeter probes into the socket
where the bulb should go and can see the 110 V. But when I put the
bulb in, it does not light up

* * A _digital_ multimeter is very sensitive and can pick up 120V on a line
not directly connected to any power source if the wires from it come close
to an line that is powered.

I thought that the socket inside might be pushed all the way back and
hence bulb not making contact, but I don't think that's the case.
Interestingly, when I put in a fluorescent bulb instead, it just has a
small flicker going.

* * This would tend to indicate that my comment on meters may be correct and
you have a line that is NOT connected to a live circuit, but is picking up a
little current from a live line close to it.

* * BTW if you are planning on using a fluorescent lamp on a dimmer, make
sure it is suitable for use on a dimmer. *If it does not specifically say it
is, then it is likely not and could be a hazard if used with one.

Any ideas ?

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

.
Sounds like rather basic trouble shooting situation: One suggestion
is.
Hook it up without the dimmer, by bypassing the dimmer temporarily
(you may find there is a black IN and a black OUT; try joining them
together), and see if the bulb lights up. If not there is break or
disconnection in the black wiring or the white unswitched and undimmed
neutral wire is open somewhere or for some reason.
Do not trust an electronic meter to measure voltages; even cheap
meters can be so sensitive that they can pick up voltage induced into
dead broken or disconnected wires from adjacent working conductors.