Posted to alt.home.repair
Slain Slain is offline

Default Electric fixture not working

Yes the current is coming to the outlet. I understand that the
millimeter can be sensitive, but when I turn the dimmer off, I don't
receive any power at the electrical outlet.

I tried both a fluorescent and a normal bulb for testing. And yes both
of them work

On Apr 26, 2:02 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
"Slain" wrote in message

I bought this sconce light, which I am attaching to an outlet
controlled by a dimmer switch.

Could you clarify that? Is the current going to the outlet (plug in,
not a fixture for a bulb)? If so ... Bad! don't control any outlet with a
dimmer.

The electrical outlet gets the 110V as expected before attaching the
light.
After attaching the light, I put my multimeter probes into the socket
where the bulb should go and can see the 110 V. But when I put the
bulb in, it does not light up

A _digital_ multimeter is very sensitive and can pick up 120V on a line
not directly connected to any power source if the wires from it come close
to an line that is powered.

I thought that the socket inside might be pushed all the way back and
hence bulb not making contact, but I don't think thats the case.
Interestingly, when I put in a fluorescent bulb instead, it just has a
small flicker going.

This would tend to indicate that my comment on meters may be correct and
you have a line that is NOT connected to a live circuit, but is picking up a
little current from a live line close to it.

BTW if you are planning on using a fluorescent lamp on a dimmer, make
sure it is suitable for use on a dimmer. If it does not specifically say it
is, then it is likely not and could be a hazard if used with one.

Any ideas ?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit