Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 521
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,199
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

On Apr 15, 1:23*pm, dgk wrote:
Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


If it's BX, I wouldn't worry about it. The armor shield would act as a
ground.
If it's ungrounded Romex, you could run a seperate ground back to the
panel ( not a pipe), or simply replace the existing breaker with a
GFCI breaker which would provide protection in the abscence of a
ground.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,746
Default Dishwasher install, electric question


dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 521
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:53:11 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

On Apr 15, 1:23*pm, dgk wrote:
Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


If it's BX, I wouldn't worry about it. The armor shield would act as a
ground.
If it's ungrounded Romex, you could run a seperate ground back to the
panel ( not a pipe), or simply replace the existing breaker with a
GFCI breaker which would provide protection in the abscence of a
ground.


Hmm. No, these are fuses. The wire is (having just looked up Romex and
BX) BX. A white and black wire inside a metal snake-like housing. Then
it sounds ok as is, with the metal sheath providing the grounding.
That's how it was hooked up.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 521
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:57:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:


dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.


Apparently, as per the Mikepier post, I have a BX cable and that
should be sufficient. That would make my life somewhat easier.


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,845
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

On Apr 15, 2:10*pm, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:57:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:







dgk wrote:


Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.


Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.


Apparently, as per the Mikepier post, I have a BX cable and that
should be sufficient. That would make my life somewhat easier.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I have a BX cable and that should be sufficient...

...assuming the BX is conected to a chassis ground at one end and an
earth ground at the other. Simply sheathing the wires in a metal
casing that is connected to nothing grounds nothing.

Just making sure we cover all bases here...
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 521
Default Dishwasher install, electric question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:12:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 15, 2:10*pm, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:57:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:







dgk wrote:


Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.


Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?


No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.


Apparently, as per the Mikepier post, I have a BX cable and that
should be sufficient. That would make my life somewhat easier.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I have a BX cable and that should be sufficient...

...assuming the BX is conected to a chassis ground at one end and an
earth ground at the other. Simply sheathing the wires in a metal
casing that is connected to nothing grounds nothing.

Just making sure we cover all bases here...


Thanks. I'll follow that cable and see where it goes. Clearly, it
makes it to the fuse panel.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to install an electric hot water heater Searching[_2_] Home Repair 13 September 5th 07 08:59 AM
dishwasher install kelly Home Repair 18 November 8th 05 02:42 AM
How hard is it to install a new dishwasher? giterdun Home Repair 10 February 11th 05 07:46 PM
electric shower install stevep UK diy 4 March 23rd 04 01:27 PM
Dishwasher Install Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 November 10th 03 09:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"