Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Michael Roback

Default Dishwasher Install

My run from the Dishwasher to the hookup is about 9 feet! I need to run
extra long drain hose and water supply. Here is what I was planning and
tell me if I am wrong. I was going to use soft flexible copper for the
water supply and flare it at each end and connect a flare nut to the water
supply on the dishwasher and the other to the angle stop. Would another
material be easier? If not, do I use 3/8" or 1/2"* and do I need any
particular type of washer in the flare nut prior to *cinching" or just
teflon the threads?

Secondly, for the drain line. Can't I just cut an extra long length of
rubber hose? What size do I use 5/8" or 3/4"?? Just clamp onto dishwasher
connection and on drain connection on garbage disposal?

Lastly, Can I wire a plug into the dishwasher and plug it into the GFI that
I installed behind it or does it have to be hardwired in?

Thanks, I have never this before.

Dale Wilcox

Reply in line

"Michael Roback" wrote in message
nk.net...
My run from the Dishwasher to the hookup is about 9 feet! I need to run
extra long drain hose and water supply. Here is what I was planning and
tell me if I am wrong. I was going to use soft flexible copper for the
water supply and flare it at each end and connect a flare nut to the water
supply on the dishwasher and the other to the angle stop. Would another
material be easier? If not, do I use 3/8" or 1/2"* and do I need any
particular type of washer in the flare nut prior to *cinching" or just
teflon the threads?

You can use 3/8 soft and compression fittings (stop and 90), if you use
flare fittings then don't use anything on the threads.

Secondly, for the drain line. Can't I just cut an extra long length of
rubber hose? What size do I use 5/8" or 3/4"?? Just clamp onto

dishwasher
connection and on drain connection on garbage disposal?

You will need to check with the manufacturer to see if it will pump that
far, some will, some wont. If it will then use 5/8 hose to your airgap
fitting and 7/8 from airgap to disposer. or if legal in your area, bump size
up at disposal.

Lastly, Can I wire a plug into the dishwasher and plug it into the GFI

that
I installed behind it or does it have to be hardwired in?

Depends on local Electrical codes, we deal with water, not electrons;)

Thanks, I have never this before.

twiedeman

you can flare the copper ends if you have the proper tool.I find it easier
to use the compression nuts with ferruls.
I have used 3/4 or 7/8 for drain.

Making a plug & cord connection is the ideal way to wire a dishwasher or
disposal.If the appliance needs to be serviced, it can be easily be rendured
safe.