DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dishwasher install, electric question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/244917-dishwasher-install-electric-question.html)

dgk April 15th 08 06:23 PM

Dishwasher install, electric question

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

Mikepier April 15th 08 06:53 PM

On Apr 15, 1:23*pm, dgk wrote:
Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

If it's BX, I wouldn't worry about it. The armor shield would act as a
ground.
If it's ungrounded Romex, you could run a seperate ground back to the
panel ( not a pipe), or simply replace the existing breaker with a
GFCI breaker which would provide protection in the abscence of a
ground.

Pete C. April 15th 08 06:57 PM

dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.

dgk April 15th 08 07:08 PM

Dishwasher install, electric question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:53:11 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

On Apr 15, 1:23*pm, dgk wrote:
Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

If it's BX, I wouldn't worry about it. The armor shield would act as a
ground.
If it's ungrounded Romex, you could run a seperate ground back to the
panel ( not a pipe), or simply replace the existing breaker with a
GFCI breaker which would provide protection in the abscence of a
ground.

Hmm. No, these are fuses. The wire is (having just looked up Romex and
BX) BX. A white and black wire inside a metal snake-like housing. Then
it sounds ok as is, with the metal sheath providing the grounding.
That's how it was hooked up.

dgk April 15th 08 07:10 PM

Dishwasher install, electric question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:57:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.

Apparently, as per the Mikepier post, I have a BX cable and that
should be sufficient. That would make my life somewhat easier.

DerbyDad03 April 15th 08 09:12 PM

wrote:

dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.

Apparently, as per the Mikepier post, I have a BX cable and that
should be sufficient. That would make my life somewhat easier.- Hide quoted text -

I have a BX cable and that should be sufficient...

...assuming the BX is conected to a chassis ground at one end and an
earth ground at the other. Simply sheathing the wires in a metal
casing that is connected to nothing grounds nothing.

Just making sure we cover all bases here...

dgk April 16th 08 01:24 PM

Dishwasher install, electric question

wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll follow that cable and see where it goes. Clearly, it
makes it to the fuse panel.