Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aligning Riding LawnMower Blades

Is there a special way that multiple mower blades should be re-
installed after changing? I was talking to a neighbor the other day
about my grass cutting woes and he said that there were instructions
on the 'net but I cant find them. I get a hump in the middle of my cut
unless I cut my grass really short. He was thinking it might be a mis-
alignment issue.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

depictureboy wrote:
Is there a special way that multiple mower blades should be re-
installed after changing? ...
I get a hump in the middle of my cut
unless I cut my grass really short. He was thinking it might be a mis-
alignment issue.

Well, they're obviously not level or it wouldn't do that...

Start by parking it on a level spot like the driveway slab and measure
the bottom of the deck to ground on each side -- it should be the same,
obviously. If it's not, figure out the mechanism for adjusting or look
for what is broken/bent and fix that. The ordinary design adjustments
should be in the owner's manual. Oh, don't for get to make sure tire
inflation is correct and the same for all four tires first and that the
sizes match and there's not a bearing or axle problem...

Once the deck is level, measure each blade tip to the ground at the four
compass points (can start w/ 2 and refine). They should also be level.

Possibilities are the mounting flange has dirt/obstruction so blade
doesn't meet the flange flat, one or both blades are bent, the shaft is
bent or misaligned, bearings, etc., ...

Again, owner's manual should explain how to adjust normal adjustments --
after that it's look for stuff that isn't correct--broken, worn, bent,
etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:27:43 -0700 (PDT), depictureboy
wrote:

Is there a special way that multiple mower blades should be re-
installed after changing? I was talking to a neighbor the other day
about my grass cutting woes and he said that there were instructions
on the 'net but I cant find them. I get a hump in the middle of my cut
unless I cut my grass really short. He was thinking it might be a mis-
alignment issue.

I don't think so. The blades are likely dull, especially the tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

S. Barker wrote:
Only one problem with this whole line of technique. The bottom edge of the
deck shell itself has NOTHING to do with it. ...

If the deck is way out of whack, that indicates the whole carriage isn't
level -- the rim is folded evenly so that makes an easy place to
measure--if you're anal, measure from the top of the deck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
S. Barker wrote:
Only one problem with this whole line of technique. The bottom edge
of the deck shell itself has NOTHING to do with it. ...

If the deck is way out of whack, that indicates the whole carriage isn't
level -- the rim is folded evenly so that makes an easy place to
measure--if you're anal, measure from the top of the deck.

And, of course, the simplest way to quickly check that a blade tip or
shaft isn't bent or similar is to rotate the blade tips past a given
point and check the clearance to the deck lip at that point--if each end
isn't the same height, there's something wrong to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Not so at all. Many manufacturers make the bottom of the deck different
height above the ground at the sides than at the front for quality of

The only way to adjust a mower for level properly is to consult the
owner's manual or manufacturer's service manual for the correct place to
measure and to adjust. Most will say measure the tips of the blades in
multiple positions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Husky wrote:
dpb wrote:
S. Barker wrote:
Only one problem with this whole line of technique. The bottom edge
of the deck shell itself has NOTHING to do with it. ...

If the deck is way out of whack, that indicates the whole carriage
isn't level -- the rim is folded evenly so that makes an easy place to
measure--if you're anal, measure from the top of the deck.

--

Not so at all. ...

If you say so. Never seen it on one I've had. Go for what works for you.