Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riding Lawnmower won't move.

Hello all. I have searched for this solution and couldn't find it
anywhere. If there is a better place to post this please let me know!

I have a Snapper Riding mower (model: SR1028). Recently, while
mowing, it just stopped moving. I saw what appeared to be a belt
laying on the ground. On further investigation, it turned out to be
the rubber part of the clutch that ripped off the metal disc that it
is on (I'm not too technical with the names). I replaced the part with
a new one (I luckily had a backup that the guy gave me when I bought
it from him used).

The problem is, it still won't go. The wheels turn freely in opposite
directions, but when trying to move them in the same direction like
you would normally, it locks in place. I believe that is what cause
the clutch to tear in the first place. It has two (what look like gear
boxes or something) attached to the axle. One large one on the right,
really close the the right tire. It has a second one that is smaller
in the middle attached to the clutch. It moves through R-N-1-2-3-4-5
like it should, and all belts are in good shape and attached. I'm
thinking it might have to do with where the axles hook up.

What could cause this? Any ideas on where to start the
troubleshooting? Also, it says to disconnect the batter if it is left
on it's back for more than 2 hours. How long should I wait to start
the engine once I flip it back over. I don't want the engine to break
because the oil isn't where it needs to be.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mwahahahahaaahaa wrote:

[...]

With the shift lever in neutral and the "parking brake" OFF the rubber
tired clutch wheel should NOT be touching the driving disk and you
should be able to rotate that clutch wheel easily by hand.

If the above conditions are met, and the clutch wheel won't turn, I'd
say something may have busted and jammed inside the gearbox attached to
the clutch wheel.

Give us a few more answers and we can get closer to it.

Re the engine oil, just a minute or two is all that should be needed.

HYH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia