Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 10th 08, 11:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Default Have I blown a fuse, or what?

I was using a Skil saw and managed to saw through the extension cord,
too.

After repairing the cord, I couldn't get power to the saw. The
extension cord was plugged into a 'weatherproof' outlet on the outside
wall of the house. I then tried a drill motor in that outlet and it
was definitely 'dead'. 2 outlets inside the garage were also 'dead'
but a 3rd one (a GFCI outlet) was working, so I finishing my sawing.

I then went to the breaker box but couldn't find a 'tripped' breaker
so, one by one, I turned each breaker off and on but still had no
power to my 'dead' outlets.

If someone has a suggestion as to what I might have screwed up here, I
would really appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 10th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,565
Default Have I blown a fuse, or what?


wrote in message
...
I was using a Skil saw and managed to saw through the extension cord,
too.

After repairing the cord, I couldn't get power to the saw. The
extension cord was plugged into a 'weatherproof' outlet on the outside
wall of the house. I then tried a drill motor in that outlet and it
was definitely 'dead'. 2 outlets inside the garage were also 'dead'
but a 3rd one (a GFCI outlet) was working, so I finishing my sawing.

I then went to the breaker box but couldn't find a 'tripped' breaker
so, one by one, I turned each breaker off and on but still had no
power to my 'dead' outlets.

If someone has a suggestion as to what I might have screwed up here, I
would really appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****

The outside outlet was likely fed from a GFCI outlet elsewhere in the house,
which was also feeding the other dead outlets. Look in bathrooms, garage,
basement and other outside outlet locations for the offending GFCI outlet
and reset it. If there are none, I would suspect that the GFCI in the garage
is defective


  #4   Report Post  
Old March 10th 08, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 656
Default Have I blown a fuse, or what?

sounds like you got another GFCI popped somewhere.

s


wrote in message
...
I was using a Skil saw and managed to saw through the extension cord,
too.

After repairing the cord, I couldn't get power to the saw. The
extension cord was plugged into a 'weatherproof' outlet on the outside
wall of the house. I then tried a drill motor in that outlet and it
was definitely 'dead'. 2 outlets inside the garage were also 'dead'
but a 3rd one (a GFCI outlet) was working, so I finishing my sawing.

I then went to the breaker box but couldn't find a 'tripped' breaker
so, one by one, I turned each breaker off and on but still had no
power to my 'dead' outlets.

If someone has a suggestion as to what I might have screwed up here, I
would really appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****



  #5   Report Post  
Old March 10th 08, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Default Have I blown a fuse, or what?

On Mar 10, 5:56 am, " wrote:
I was using a Skil saw and managed to saw through the extension cord,
too.

After repairing the cord, I couldn't get power to the saw. The
extension cord was plugged into a 'weatherproof' outlet on the outside
wall of the house. I then tried a drill motor in that outlet and it
was definitely 'dead'. 2 outlets inside the garage were also 'dead'
but a 3rd one (a GFCI outlet) was working, so I finishing my sawing.

I then went to the breaker box but couldn't find a 'tripped' breaker
so, one by one, I turned each breaker off and on but still had no
power to my 'dead' outlets.

If someone has a suggestion as to what I might have screwed up here, I
would really appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****


Thanks to all for the support here.

I'll check out these ideas when I get home this evening.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
27PT6442/37 Blown Fuse Steve Electronics Repair 0 September 27th 07 05:23 AM
Blown fuse R. Gregg Reed Home Repair 45 December 14th 05 01:11 PM
Blown Fuse C Electronics Repair 5 February 7th 05 02:24 AM
Blown Fuse: Need help identifying value Preferred Customer Electronics Repair 1 September 1st 04 08:25 PM
Pioneer CLD-870 -Blown Fuse ED Electronics 2 March 27th 04 08:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017