Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

Default Blown fuse

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

R. Gregg Reed wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
F could mean fast blow.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:44:31 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?
How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?
Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.
Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

Bubba ReMoVe wrote in
:

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?

Very well, thank you.

How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?

Why do you think I don't know how to do a simple Google search?

Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.

And it didn't tell me what I wanted to know. I asked for a definition of
"5MF". You seem to have difficulty following simple instructions.

Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???

I don't think so. I had someone else look up "5MF" for me, and he ****ed it
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A.D.C.

You complain and STILL provide him the information he requested that you
think he should be able to track down himself. Way to enable.

This newsgroup exists for these types of questions. Google is a big help in
research, but nothing beats the well-timed advice of other DIYers and pros.
Thanks to all who answer seemingly stupid questions here.

Merry Christmas.

wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?
How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?
Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.
Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???
Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

mcm electronics and digikey have great website searches for electronic
parts, and digikey gets technical in their online catalog.
the internet is international and you can click your country link at:
http://www.digikey.com/
or i found that no listing came back let's take another look with a
magnifier and see if maybe the 5 is an S
SM means surface mounted fuse.
F may mean fast blow
5A may mean 5 amp
125V may mean 125 volts.
with it unplugged, can you alligator jumper it out to a fast blowing 5
amp fuse to see if it lights up when you plug it in with the other hand
in your pocket?

Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

The information he provided didn't answer my question. All it was was a
spec sheet for a fuse with "5MF" in the part number.

I looked at the fuse with a magnifying glass, and it does indeed say
"5MF". My roommate drove past Wal Mart after he got off of work, so I
called him up and gave him the number and asked him to see if he could
find one.

He found a 5 amp 125 volt fuse, but it didn't say "5MF" on it. I wanted
to know exactly what "5MF" stood for, so I could tell if it was
important. If not, I was going to put the fuse in he got. I searched
Google, and got THOUSANDS of answers, none of which explained what the
term meant. More than likely the answer is in the 87,432nd answer, but I
hate to have to read 87,431 wrong answers first. So I figured I'd ask
here.

wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home
and opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown
fuse, which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V,
which I assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF
means. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?
How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?
Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.
Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before
you electrocute yourself???
Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

"buffalobill" wrote in
oups.com:

mcm electronics and digikey have great website searches for electronic
parts, and digikey gets technical in their online catalog.
the internet is international and you can click your country link at:
http://www.digikey.com/

They got a bit too technical. They assume I already know what "5MF"
stands for.

or i found that no listing came back let's take another look with a
magnifier and see if maybe the 5 is an S

Magnifying glass wearing reading glasses under a halogen reading lamp.
It definitly says "5MF".

SM means surface mounted fuse.

No, it's in a holder.

F may mean fast blow
5A may mean 5 amp
125V may mean 125 volts.
with it unplugged, can you alligator jumper it out to a fast blowing 5
amp fuse to see if it lights up when you plug it in

I'd rather not. That's why I wanted to know what "5MF" stands for, so
I'll know if it's safe to plug in with a different type of fuse in it.

with the other hand in your pocket?

So the hand isn't grounded. If I'm electrocuted this will insure the
current doesn't go from one hand to the other and through my heart. I'm
not entirely ignorant of electricity.

Thanks for the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

5m maybe 5 millimeter
F maybe fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

R. Gregg Reed wrote:

So the hand isn't grounded. If I'm electrocuted this will insure the
current doesn't go from one hand to the other and through my heart. I'm
not entirely ignorant of electricity.

But I'm afraid you are somewhat so with regard to the english language sir.

Electrocuted means "killed by electric shock", so it really wouldn't
matter if the current flowed through your heart or not, would it?

I'm shocked, just shocked.. G

Jeff

Thanks for the help.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

My mistake. You're correct. Shocked.

Jeff Wisnia wrote in
:

R. Gregg Reed wrote:

So the hand isn't grounded. If I'm electrocuted this will insure the
current doesn't go from one hand to the other and through my heart.
I'm not entirely ignorant of electricity.

But I'm afraid you are somewhat so with regard to the english language
sir.

Electrocuted means "killed by electric shock", so it really wouldn't
matter if the current flowed through your heart or not, would it?

I'm shocked, just shocked.. G

Jeff

Thanks for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

R. Gregg Reed wrote:
Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
Just find physically matching 5 amp fast blow fuse and try it. 27"
analog TV ain't precision high tech stuff. If it blows again, try slow
blow type one more time and if it blows too there is something wrong
with circuitry, most likely on the power supply/regulator area.
I'd clean the dust off first.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

Thanks to Bubba? Every post I've read by him has been smart ass and no
help.

"buffalobill" wrote in
oups.com:

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

see also a more technical newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair
and thank you Sam Goldwasser for Notes on the Troubleshooting and
Repair of Television Sets
at
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Tiberio

wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?
How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?
Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.

Next time this will save you a few key strokes:

http://just****inggoogleit.com/

Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???
Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:58:38 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Thanks to Bubba? Every post I've read by him has been smart ass and no
help.

I tend to be sarcastic to people that have no business doing what they
are doing when it could mean electrocution, shock and death.
Someone else can help you along with that procedure, not me!
If you dont like it, tough chit! You got exactly what you paid for and
more. Now go cry in someone else's cereal.
Bubba

"buffalobill" wrote in
roups.com:

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
see also a more technical newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair
and thank you Sam Goldwasser for Notes on the Troubleshooting and
Repair of Television Sets
at
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

OK. We've found the fuse!

Now; why did it blow?

Expect 5000 more posts in this thread on the subject of whether it is safe,
or not, for a person with, presumably, limited? electronic skills and test
equipment to try and repair a, presumably colour? 27 inch TV which can have
very high (read lethal) voltages of many thousands of volts. Presuming
again, it is of the cathode ray tube type? Which under certain circumstances
can emit X.Rays!

Puzzled the OP didn't ask the original 'fuse' question on an
'Electronics/scientific' repair group!

Be careful! Hope the OP gets lucky with just replacing the fuse. But as with
anything fuses are there for reasons; which include protection of human
health, safety and property!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ross Mac

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
R. Gregg Reed wrote:
Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
Just find physically matching 5 amp fast blow fuse and try it. 27" analog
TV ain't precision high tech stuff. If it blows again, try slow blow type
one more time and if it blows too there is something wrong with circuitry,
most likely on the power supply/regulator area.
I'd clean the dust off first.
Tony

Just a tip here....take a good look at the fuse, assuming it is glass, and
if it is very black inside I wouldn't bother replacing it since most likely
10 times the rated current flowed and there is definitely a short. If there
is just a small separation in the element then perhaps it just separated
from contraction / expansion and replacing it most likely won't continue to
do additional damage such as removing the traces from the circuit board.
Now, if it's black inside you probably have, like Tony suggested, a short in
the power supply such as the bridge or regulator. This would be very simple
and most likely cheap to repair. Haul it down to the local repair shop and
get a quote. If it's a basket case, which I doubt, you lost nothing
otherwise it will probably be a minimum shop charge. Good Luck ....Ross

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:14:53 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Bubba ReMoVe wrote in
:

wrote:

Thanks to Bubba? Every post I've read by him has been smart ass and no
help.

I tend to be sarcastic to people that have no business doing what they
are doing when it could mean electrocution, shock and death.

And yet you still gave me information, poor as it was. And a guy who
posted before me who was having problems installing a register didn't
seem to be in imminent danger of death, and you told him to stick caulk
in his ears.

You're just a pathetic little man who tries to make himself feel
important by putting people down on Usenet, knowing full well that you
wouldn't DARE say anything like that to anyone in real life. I pity you.

You are more than welcome to come visit me anytime. Id be happy to
show you exactly how "small" I am. I would also like to tell you in
person what I told you on here. Im not shy in the least. Plan on
giving out your Christmas presents early because you wont be waking up
till sometime after the new year. Sweet dreams you pussy.
Care for the offer?
Bubba

Someone else can help you along with that procedure, not me!
If you dont like it, tough chit! You got exactly what you paid for and
more. Now go cry in someone else's cereal.
Bubba

"buffalobill" wrote in
egroups.com:

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

"Terry" wrote in
news
OK. We've found the fuse!

Now; why did it blow?

I don't know. The previous owner said it just quit working. No lightning
strikes, no sparks, no smoke, no crackling noises, no nothing.

Expect 5000 more posts in this thread on the subject of whether it is
safe, or not, for a person with, presumably, limited? electronic
skills and test equipment to try and repair a, presumably colour? 27
inch TV which can have very high (read lethal) voltages of many
thousands of volts. Presuming again, it is of the cathode ray tube
type? Which under certain circumstances can emit X.Rays!

I wasn't planning on doing any more than looking for the obvious. I also
made sure it was unplugged before I took the cover off, and I didn't
plug it back in until the cover was back on.

Puzzled the OP didn't ask the original 'fuse' question on an
'Electronics/scientific' repair group!

This group deals with home repair, which I thought was more appropriate
than theoretical electronics. Also, my question wasn't specifically
about repairing electronics. I just wanted some information on fuses.
And this group had ten times the number of posts as the other groups,
and I wanted a quick answer.

Be careful! Hope the OP gets lucky with just replacing the fuse. But
as with anything fuses are there for reasons; which include protection
of human health, safety and property!

I replaced the fuse, and ran it a few hours last night, and about four
hours today. No problems so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A.D.C.

classic signs of insecurity and an inferiority complex...when proven wrong
or embarrassed, resorts to physical threats behind the supposed veil of
anonymity.

I'd love to come visit. Please post your address and telephone number,
Bubba.

"Bubba" ReMoVe wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:14:53 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Bubba ReMoVe
wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

legroups.com:

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

and I still havent seen you or anyone else take me up on my offer.
Email me your phone number and I'll call you. Then we will both have
each others name address and phone and neither of us will be posted on
the net for all to see. It couldnt be more simple.
Ive never seen such a bunch of mouthy pussies with no balls in my
life.
Bubba

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:53:01 -0600, "A.D.C." wrote:

after several requests, he still has no answer...I'm thinking he's got a big
hat, but no cattle.
"Bob" wrote in message

"Bubba" ReMoVe wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:11:32 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Bubba ReMoVe
wrote in
:

You are more than welcome to come visit me anytime. Id be happy to
show you exactly how "small" I am.

I wasn't referring to your physical size. I already have ample evidence
that you have a fat head and a big mouth. I was actually referring to
your mental size, and I have ample evidence of that, too.

I would also like to tell you in
person what I told you on here. Im not shy in the least. Plan on
giving out your Christmas presents early because you wont be waking up
till sometime after the new year. Sweet dreams you pussy.
Care for the offer?

You can't be serious. Do you really expect me to waste my time traveling
to where you are just so we can fight over a discussion on Usenet? Oh, I
understand. You DON'T expect me to waste my time. That's what you're
counting on.

Exactly as expected.
I'll take that as a no, ............pussy.
Bubba

Simply post your address. I'm sure someone local to you will be happy to
come over and discuss this in person.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:29:21 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in
news
OK. We've found the fuse!

Now; why did it blow?

I don't know. The previous owner said it just quit working. No lightning
strikes, no sparks, no smoke, no crackling noises, no nothing.

Expect 5000 more posts in this thread on the subject of whether it is
safe, or not, for a person with, presumably, limited? electronic
skills and test equipment to try and repair a, presumably colour? 27
inch TV which can have very high (read lethal) voltages of many
thousands of volts. Presuming again, it is of the cathode ray tube
type? Which under certain circumstances can emit X.Rays!

I wasn't planning on doing any more than looking for the obvious. I also
made sure it was unplugged before I took the cover off, and I didn't
plug it back in until the cover was back on.

What difference does it make? Did you get the point that you can kill
yourself even when it is unplugged?

OK, it's less likely, but did you ask how to avoid it?

Puzzled the OP didn't ask the original 'fuse' question on an
'Electronics/scientific' repair group!

This group deals with home repair, which I thought was more appropriate
than theoretical electronics. Also, my question wasn't specifically
about repairing electronics. I just wanted some information on fuses.

You can describe a fuse in a sentence or two. Where it is used does
make a difference in what there is to say about this.

And this group had ten times the number of posts as the other groups,
and I wanted a quick answer.

Who says the electronics group is only theoretical. The one I read is
not. And they do know more about electronics repair than the people
here. (no offense, guys. They know more than I do, too.) It would
have been a better group for this question. Far more likely to know
what 5MF means, because there are so many more people there who deal
with glass fuses.

Be careful! Hope the OP gets lucky with just replacing the fuse. But
as with anything fuses are there for reasons; which include protection
of human health, safety and property!

I replaced the fuse, and ran it a few hours last night, and about four
hours today. No problems so far.

That's good. That might be the only problem.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

and the winner is: tony who got f for fast and bubba who answered the
question in the third posting with the belfuse link which showed 5
millimeters.