Old December 11th 05, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

Default Blown fuse

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Old December 11th 05, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

R. Gregg Reed wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
F could mean fast blow.
Tony
Old December 11th 05, 04:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:44:31 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"
wrote:

Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?
How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?
Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.
Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???
Bubba
Old December 11th 05, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

Bubba ReMoVe wrote in
:

Jesus H Christ!
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
How do you get through daily life?

Very well, thank you.

How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to
do a simple Google search.?

Why do you think I don't know how to do a simple Google search?

Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me.

And it didn't tell me what I wanted to know. I asked for a definition of
"5MF". You seem to have difficulty following simple instructions.

Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you
electrocute yourself???

I don't think so. I had someone else look up "5MF" for me, and he ****ed it
up.

Old December 11th 05, 04:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair
A.D.C.

You complain and STILL provide him the information he requested that you
think he should be able to track down himself. Way to enable.

This newsgroup exists for these types of questions. Google is a big help in
research, but nothing beats the well-timed advice of other DIYers and pros.
Thanks to all who answer seemingly stupid questions here.

Merry Christmas.

Old December 11th 05, 05:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

mcm electronics and digikey have great website searches for electronic
parts, and digikey gets technical in their online catalog.
the internet is international and you can click your country link at:
http://www.digikey.com/
or i found that no listing came back let's take another look with a
magnifier and see if maybe the 5 is an S
SM means surface mounted fuse.
F may mean fast blow
5A may mean 5 amp
125V may mean 125 volts.
with it unplugged, can you alligator jumper it out to a fast blowing 5
amp fuse to see if it lights up when you plug it in with the other hand
in your pocket?

Old December 11th 05, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

The information he provided didn't answer my question. All it was was a
spec sheet for a fuse with "5MF" in the part number.

I looked at the fuse with a magnifying glass, and it does indeed say
"5MF". My roommate drove past Wal Mart after he got off of work, so I
called him up and gave him the number and asked him to see if he could
find one.

He found a 5 amp 125 volt fuse, but it didn't say "5MF" on it. I wanted
to know exactly what "5MF" stood for, so I could tell if it was
important. If not, I was going to put the fuse in he got. I searched
Google, and got THOUSANDS of answers, none of which explained what the
term meant. More than likely the answer is in the 87,432nd answer, but I
hate to have to read 87,431 wrong answers first. So I figured I'd ask
here.

Old December 11th 05, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
R. Gregg Reed

"buffalobill" wrote in
oups.com:

mcm electronics and digikey have great website searches for electronic
parts, and digikey gets technical in their online catalog.
the internet is international and you can click your country link at:
http://www.digikey.com/

They got a bit too technical. They assume I already know what "5MF"
stands for.

or i found that no listing came back let's take another look with a
magnifier and see if maybe the 5 is an S

Magnifying glass wearing reading glasses under a halogen reading lamp.
It definitly says "5MF".

SM means surface mounted fuse.

No, it's in a holder.

F may mean fast blow
5A may mean 5 amp
125V may mean 125 volts.
with it unplugged, can you alligator jumper it out to a fast blowing 5
amp fuse to see if it lights up when you plug it in

I'd rather not. That's why I wanted to know what "5MF" stands for, so
I'll know if it's safe to plug in with a different type of fuse in it.

with the other hand in your pocket?

So the hand isn't grounded. If I'm electrocuted this will insure the
current doesn't go from one hand to the other and through my heart. I'm
not entirely ignorant of electricity.

Thanks for the help.
Old December 11th 05, 06:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

5m maybe 5 millimeter
F maybe fast.

Old December 11th 05, 06:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is
http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses.
thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts!
-bill