Posted to alt.home.repair

Default are there alternatives to tile?

Ok long story short:

***
a leak developed in the piping behind the drywall in my bathroom
(underneath) the wall facing the toilet. I had a plumber come in
to the condo apt and smash out three tiles at the bottom to get
welding equiptment in.
*****

I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

please advice
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"anubis" wrote in message
I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

Access panel is a good idea. Often they are in the room on the other side of
a bathroom if it is an interior wall. I've never seen one that you can buy,
but rather they are built in when the plumbing and drywall is done. Just a
wood frame and a sheet of 1/4" hardboard or plywood screwed in place.

I had a similar problem with my shower and had to make a hold on the
partition wall next to the vanity. Rather than patch the drywall, I hung a
mirror.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"anubis" wrote in message
Ok long story short:

***
a leak developed in the piping behind the drywall in my bathroom
(underneath) the wall facing the toilet. I had a plumber come in
to the condo apt and smash out three tiles at the bottom to get
welding equiptment in.
*****

I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

please advice
thanks

Every access panel would be different depending on all sorts of factors. So,
you make them out of wood, or have someone make one for you, usually out of
wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Mar 2008 18:39:37 GMT, anubis wrote:

Ok long story short:

***
a leak developed in the piping behind the drywall in my bathroom
(underneath) the wall facing the toilet. I had a plumber come in
to the condo apt and smash out three tiles at the bottom to get
welding equiptment in.
*****

I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

please advice
thanks

HDTV had an episode about this I'll post the link.

I did a reno on my MB a few years ago. I put metal access panels on
the exterior wall. I can get beneath the tub from outside access and
not disturb tile or the tub surround.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_walls_ot...385975,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Access panel is a good idea. Often they are in the room on the other
side of a bathroom if it is an interior wall. I've never seen one
that you can buy, but rather they are built in when the plumbing and
drywall is done. Just a wood frame and a sheet of 1/4" hardboard or
plywood screwed in place.
I had a similar problem with my shower and had to make a hold on the
partition wall next to the vanity. Rather than patch the drywall, I
hung a mirror.

Hanging a mirror under the toilet would certainly generate questions...

Posted to alt.home.repair

anubis wrote:

Ok long story short:

***
a leak developed in the piping behind the drywall in my bathroom
(underneath) the wall facing the toilet. I had a plumber come in
to the condo apt and smash out three tiles at the bottom to get
welding equiptment in.
*****

I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

please advice
thanks

Be brave - patch up the wall and put the tile back. If it leaks, it
won't leak in the very same
place again )

Art stores have pre-primed masonite panels (for art work). I used one,
with an unfinished
frame of same size, to make an access panel. I glued together, painted,
and screwed it to the
wall. Might be tough to fashion it to fit your need, though. My panel
is in guestroom, next to
guest bath, and is kind of out of the way. I used brass screws with
little brass "o" rings to
pretty it up to fasten to the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
Access panel is a good idea. Often they are in the room on the other side of
a bathroom if it is an interior wall. I've never seen one that you can buy,
but rather they are built in when the plumbing and drywall is done.

I second Edwin's recommendation. Putting an access panel in the tub
enclosure is just begging for a leak. You want the access panel on the
OTHER side of the wall in which the plumbing runs, if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
Access panel is a good idea. Often they are in the room on the other side
of
a bathroom if it is an interior wall. I've never seen one that you can
buy,
but rather they are built in when the plumbing and drywall is done.

I second Edwin's recommendation. Putting an access panel in the tub
enclosure is just begging for a leak. You want the access panel on the
OTHER side of the wall in which the plumbing runs, if possible.

He could use a boat hatch in the shower. Waterproof, but either stupid or
cool, depending on whether there's a woman in the house with an opinion.