Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default are there alternatives to tile?

anubis wrote:

Ok long story short:

***
a leak developed in the piping behind the drywall in my bathroom
(underneath) the wall facing the toilet. I had a plumber come in
to the condo apt and smash out three tiles at the bottom to get
welding equiptment in.
*****

I thought about hiring out work to replace the tile (which would
involve two straight/square tiles and one with a hole in it to fit
the cold water shutoff valve

But I would sort of like to leave that hole accessible should more
work EVER need to be done. Is there a substitute for tile other
than what i currently have there (a cardboard covering the hole and
duct tape around it)???

I have heard of "access panels" but dont know where the look or get
these

please advice
thanks

Be brave - patch up the wall and put the tile back. If it leaks, it
won't leak in the very same
place again )

Art stores have pre-primed masonite panels (for art work). I used one,
with an unfinished
frame of same size, to make an access panel. I glued together, painted,
and screwed it to the
wall. Might be tough to fashion it to fit your need, though. My panel
is in guestroom, next to
guest bath, and is kind of out of the way. I used brass screws with
little brass "o" rings to
pretty it up to fasten to the wall.