Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Urethane glue shelf life

I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and
found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be
firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I
needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle considering
that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane
glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much
longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I did
store it on its head but still...

TIA,
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and
found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be
firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I
needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle
considering that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane
glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much
longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I
did store it on its head but still...

TIA,
Chuck

what does the label say? what does the person at the other end of the 800 #
that is on the label say? does the label say how to reconstitute it?

i recently had a tube of ge silicone fail to harden even though it was
before the expiration date. they replaced it for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and
found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be
firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I
needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle considering
that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane
glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much
longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I did
store it on its head but still...

TIA,
Chuck

Traces of moisture will cause isocyanate glues to gel. Even plastic is
permeable even when tightly sealed. I would expect an expiration date
for unopened material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

C & E wrote:
I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago
and found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the
bottle to be firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than
usual. I got what I needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty
expensive bottle considering that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened**
urethane glue?

ISTR Wood Magazine saying one year,UNopened.
(trouble is,you don't know how long the bottle was on the store shelf.)

They have done some glue tests,and you may be able to search their web
site.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and
found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be
firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I
needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle
considering that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane
glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much
longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I
did store it on its head but still...

TIA,
Chuck

I hadn't thought of an expiration date. The glue went with the trash so,
lesson learned. I am sceptical of refunds since so many of them ask that
you send the product back. I'll check and thanks for a reality check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:06:15 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and
found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be
firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I
needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle considering
that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane
glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much
longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I did
store it on its head but still...

TIA,
Chuck

About 6 months. It reacts with moisture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
"C & E" wrote in message

I hadn't thought of an expiration date. The glue went with the trash so,
lesson learned. I am sceptical of refunds since so many of them ask that
you send the product back. I'll check and thanks for a reality check.

Out of curiosity, I see no date on my Gorilla glue but do have a can of
urethane foam that states remainder of product in can after opening may
not be usable after 3 weeks.

I'm still somewhat dismayed about packaging some household products in
plastic. Materials sealed in glass or metal will last much longer
because glass and metal are not permeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
C & E wrote:
"C & E" wrote in message

I hadn't thought of an expiration date. The glue went with the trash so,
lesson learned. I am sceptical of refunds since so many of them ask that
you send the product back. I'll check and thanks for a reality check.

Out of curiosity, I see no date on my Gorilla glue but do have a can of
urethane foam that states remainder of product in can after opening may
not be usable after 3 weeks.

I'm still somewhat dismayed about packaging some household products in
plastic. Materials sealed in glass or metal will last much longer because
glass and metal are not permeable.

**************************
Ditto that, Frank. My Gorilla, which is older and opened, but stored on its
head, is fine. Not the slightest sign of hardening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to C & E, donald girod wrote:
Gorilla glue has gelled in an unopened container stored upside down after
about a year. Gorilla glue containers are NOT sealed, at least the small 2oz
ones. Unscrew the cap and you're ready to go (or not, if the stuff has set
up). However my experience has been variable, with some gorilla glue lasting
a long time after opening and other stuff totally failing. I think the only
answer is to use it frequently, or put up with a lot of waste. It is clearly
to the advantage of the manufacturer to have the stuff not last. Urethane
glue is really what you want in some cases (not too many), and so I put up
with it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fe-289977-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 9:44:09 AM UTC-5, donald girod wrote:
replying to C & E, donald girod wrote:
Gorilla glue has gelled in an unopened container stored upside down after
about a year. Gorilla glue containers are NOT sealed, at least the small 2oz
ones. Unscrew the cap and you're ready to go (or not, if the stuff has set
up). However my experience has been variable, with some gorilla glue lasting
a long time after opening and other stuff totally failing. I think the only
answer is to use it frequently, or put up with a lot of waste. It is clearly
to the advantage of the manufacturer to have the stuff not last. Urethane
glue is really what you want in some cases (not too many), and so I put up
with it.
--

You're too late. **10** years ago, C & E was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to intercept the fast-moving flying saucer and it's feared that C & E was used as a sex toy before being eaten by the giant mutant space gerbils. It was a tragic loss for his family and friends. It's been 10 years but the pain from his loss is still with his family. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2018 10:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Old post but problem with Gorilla glue is the plastic container. It
looks like polyethylene to me which is one of the worst polymers to use
from the permeation standpoint. Water molecules can penetrate it and
induce the polyurethane to polymerize limiting the shelf life.

Glue shelf life Chris Woodworking 5 April 28th 07 11:29 PM
Opinions on urethane (Gorilla) glue Mike Hartigan Woodworking 7 March 5th 07 01:49 AM
different glue for PVC pipe with long shelf life? autonut843 Home Repair 4 May 31st 06 04:13 PM
Do biscuits work with urethane glue toller Woodworking 11 August 30th 04 12:30 AM
Shelf life for glue (revisited) Wally Woodworking 12 July 5th 04 07:39 PM