Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Default different glue for PVC pipe with long shelf life?

Hi,
These days the only time I need to glue PVC pipe together is when
something breaks in my irrigation system and I need to do a repair
involving 2 or 3 joints. This happens infrequently and whenever it
does happen, I have a bunch of spare fittings to avoid a special trip
to the hardware store, but my glue is always congealed past the point
of use so I have to make the trip. I'm careful about putting the lid
back on but it has happened two or three times now over the past few
years. So, if I wanted to not have to waste the $$$ on a small can of
PVC cement each time, what is another glue some of you may use that has
a better shelf life and that can be used for other things in addition
to the PVC fittings? Or does anybody sell a cheap real small can of
PVC cement?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Or does anybody sell a cheap real small can of PVC cement?

The 4 oz small can is about $ 1.97 or less. Try folding up a piece of
waxpaper about 4X and using it as a gasket when putting the lid back on and
do it up TIGHT with channelock pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Thanks you two, those are great ideas, I'll try that this time.
I know, at $2.00 a can it's not really that big a deal financially,
it's more that I was hoping to be able to have a useable glue on hand
when I needed it for those infrequent jobs.
Thanks again, very appreciated.
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Thanks you two, those are great ideas, I'll try that this time.
I know, at $2.00 a can it's not really that big a deal financially,
it's more that I was hoping to be able to have a useable glue on hand
when I needed it for those infrequent jobs.

I usually have a can of PVC glue and cleaner sitting around. I don't take
any special precautions, and unless it has gelled up, it still works fine
for emergency repairs a year or more later. I wouldn't want to use old glue
for a major project, but if a pipe breaks at 2am on a holiday, it helps to
have what you need on hand. Especially if you live far from town.

If you want to be sure you have good glue on hand, just buy an extra $2 can
and leave it unopened until you need it. I don't know what the shelf life
for an unopened can is, but I'm sure it's much shorter once you open it and
let the air in.

Just remember you'll need an assortment of pipe and fittings on hand too,
or the glue isn't going to be of much use.

Anthony