Old February 15th 08, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this thing?

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

Old February 15th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

Does the doorbell work now?

Old February 15th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:31*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought..
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

Looks like a doorbell to me. lol
Old February 15th 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

guts of a doorbell?

That has all the markings of an old phone company device, but I don't
know what it does. Could be an external ringer, or buzzer.

It just looks phone company. Is there a cover with a screw in the middle?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Old February 15th 08, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
charlie wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

guts of a doorbell?

That has all the markings of an old phone company device, but I don't
know what it does. Could be an external ringer, or buzzer.

It just looks phone company. Is there a cover with a screw in the middle?

I'm with Robert. It just oozes Western Electric vibes.
Old February 15th 08, 08:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:31:06 GMT, Mike Dobony
wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.

-T.E. Stosterone
Old February 15th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

They look like capacitors. If the house dates back to the 50's or
older they may have been part of an external telephone bell. They
may have been installed as a radio canceling device to filter out
radio broadcasts on telephone line.

It could also be a crackpot customer device. These were various pieces
of telephone equipment installed to do absolutely nothing but satisfy
a chronic complainer. It would be a special/secret device that nobody
was supposed to have.
Believe it or not those devices actually worked.

LdB

Old February 15th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

I'd cast my vote for it being a phone line surge arrestor.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old February 15th 08, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2267656766/

What has stopped working since it was removed?