Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this thing?

This probably isn't the correct place to ask this question but I figure
you all have a lot of experience in very diverse areas and someone might
recognize this mystery object.

Go to:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/279149565006

We found 11 of these in an old grain/equipment storage barn that is
probably close to a hundred years old.

It measures:
9-5/16" across the top
8-9/16" across the bottom
4-3/8" on each side

The side pieces are 5/8" wide
Top and bottom pieces are 3/8" wide.

The top and bottom bars are inset into a notch in the side bars and held
in place with one small brad at each corner.

It's hard to tell what the wood is. Maybe pine. It's very dried out and
feels almost as light as balsa wood.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Damn. Sorry, the link immediately failed to work.

Please go to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

And to the folder named FUNNY. It is the first photo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FragileWarrior wrote:
This probably isn't the correct place to ask this question but I
figure you all have a lot of experience in very diverse areas and
someone might recognize this mystery object.

Go to:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/279149565006

It appears the link is bad.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know. It seems a bit small, but looks like a bee keepers
comb frame.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"FragileWarrior" wrote in
message ...

Damn. Sorry, the link immediately failed to work.

Please go to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

And to the folder named FUNNY. It is the first photo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in :

I don't know. It seems a bit small, but looks like a bee keepers
comb frame.

HA! That's my guess, too, but it IS small. Made me wonder if maybe it was
a child's project. (4H maybe?) How big are comb frames, do you know?
These appear to be unused since there doesn't seem to be wax residue in the
wood and they would reuse them, wouldn't they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

Looks like a frame out of a bee hive.

http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrame...are.com/Naviga
tion/SideNavFrame.htm&0

Oh, cool. Great link. Those look slightly different but the size seems
right. Those frames have a backing piece so maybe these frames weren't
completed yet?

I need a beekeeper.

Thanks, gentlemen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

FragileWarrior wrote in news:eqnc5a
:

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

Looks like a frame out of a bee hive.

http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrames.htm?

http://www.beecare.com/Naviga
tion/SideNavFrame.htm&0

Oh, cool. Great link. Those look slightly different but the size

seems
right. Those frames have a backing piece so maybe these frames weren't
completed yet?

I need a beekeeper.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Now I've read further (I was so excited to see the first two posts say
BEES I stopped reading to post), it mentions the wood frames:

"The old-style wood frames consists of a top bar, a bottom bar, and two
end bars. The wood frame contains a sheet of either beeswax or plastic
foundation, embossed with a honeycomb cell pattern. This pattern
provides a base for the worker bees to build the wax cells out from the
foundation."

By George, I think we've got it.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They were smaller before the super's as we know them today.

http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/history1.htm

--
Steve Barker

"DanG" wrote in message
I don't know. It seems a bit small, but looks like a bee keepers comb
frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

They were smaller before the super's as we know them today.

http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/history1.htm

OH, GREAT site! There might have been a log gum not too far from where the
frames were found. I'm going to have to go back and look at it again now
I've seen the log gums on that page.

(Lordy, look at me throwing around the bee words now!)

Thx thx thx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

You're quite welcome. My grandfather kept bees and IF I EVER GET THIS
DAMN HOUSE DONE, I plan to get into beekeeping also.

Oh, that's really great. I always wanted to try it but then I found out
that I was allergic to bee stings. I'd think it would be a fascinating
hobby. And a tasty one, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 10:00 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote om:

You're quite welcome. My grandfather kept bees and IF I EVER GET THIS
DAMN HOUSE DONE, I plan to get into beekeeping also.

Oh, that's really great. I always wanted to try it but then I found out
that I was allergic to bee stings. I'd think it would be a fascinating
hobby. And a tasty one, too.

Very tasty when the MEAD is ready to drink! Anybody have a giant
stainless pot for sale cheap?
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote in
ups.com:

On Feb 11, 10:00 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote
om:

You're quite welcome. My grandfather kept bees and IF I EVER GET
THIS DAMN HOUSE DONE, I plan to get into beekeeping also.

Oh, that's really great. I always wanted to try it but then I found
out that I was allergic to bee stings. I'd think it would be a
fascinating hobby. And a tasty one, too.

Very tasty when the MEAD is ready to drink! Anybody have a giant
stainless pot for sale cheap?
Dean

I really like mead, too. Perhaps I should take up THAT end of the hobby.

One thing I can't do [email protected] Woodworking 8 June 4th 06 01:27 AM
Same thing brush7734 Metalworking 0 November 24th 05 12:03 PM
is there such a thing? Jim M Home Repair 5 January 31st 05 12:32 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
Help me! what is this thing! steve Electronics 2 June 30th 03 12:24 AM