Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attaching basement pole covers with "Great Stuff"?

I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach
these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach
these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? Any other suggestions?

How wide is the gap between the pole and the surround? If it is small,
then construction adhesive. If it is larger, then use construction
adhesive to attach blocks to the pole, then glue the surrounds to the
blocks.

I wouldn't use foam for this, but if you must, then look for minimal
expanding foam.

http://www.touch-n-foam.com/foamminimal.htm

http://www.reddevil.com/products.cfm?c=me&cat=45

http://www.shophometrends.com/produc...cd2=1202837613

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 10:24*am, Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. *I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). *How do I attach
these things to the posts? *I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). *What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? *Any other suggestions?

There are several brands of LATEX foam on the market that are
routinely used in construction, by window installers, etc. IIRC, DAP
is one brand and is widely available. It has zero effect on glue
joints, so squirt away all you want and the results will be just fine.
Allow at least a day or so for the foam to cure before trimming off
excess. Water cleanup is also a great advantage. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:24*am, Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. *I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). *How do I attach
these things to the posts? *I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). *What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? *Any other suggestions?

1 - Cut 3 (or more) octagons from some 3/4 stock. The outside
dimensions should equal the inside dimensions of your oak surround.
2 - Cut these octagons in half.
3 - Cut a semi-circle into each half, the same radius as the radius of
the pole.
4 - Pre-drill and screw these octogons around the pole at the top,
bottom and in the middle. Use construction adhesive where needed to
hold them in place.
5 - Place your surrounds against these octagons and glue/screw them to
the supports.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I probably should have been more clear in my original post - the wood
covers are already in place. They're simply flopping around in the
poles, waiting to be attached to something, somehow. I originally
planned to drill a couple of holes in the top and bottom into which I
would inject some expanding foam. This was the original plan, but it
appears, from the responses, so far, that there are other, perhaps
better plans. Nevertheless, this is where I am. I'm wondering if
this plan was ill-advised. Should I continue on this path, or should
I try to remove them and implement one of these? Assuming the
expanding foam idea is a good one, is there a brand/type that is
ideally suited to this application? Worst case is that it won't
work, and I'll be no worse off than I am now.

On Feb 12, 10:24 am, Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach
these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:56:34 -0800 (PST), Mike wrote:
covers are already in place. They're simply flopping around in the
poles, waiting to be attached to something, somehow. I originally
planned to drill a couple of holes in the top and bottom into which I
would inject some expanding foam. This was the original plan, but it

this plan was ill-advised. Should I continue on this path, or should
I try to remove them and implement one of these? Assuming the
expanding foam idea is a good one, is there a brand/type that is
ideally suited to this application? Worst case is that it won't
work, and I'll be no worse off than I am now.

I agree. Try foam. Avoid DAP latex, it has no stick and very weak body
strength -- it won't do anything for you except cost money and make a
mess. Most any polyurethane foam will have adhesive properties.

I'd probably try the low expanding ("for windows and doors") version of
Great Stuff. Don't fill the cavity full, but only injecting foam at top
and bottom will likely be fine even with regular foam since it will have
plenty of room to expand vertically.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:24 am, Mike wrote:

I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. *I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). *How do I attach
these things to the posts? *I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). *What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? *Any other suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

How much space between the covers and the pole is there, and how were
the sections attached to each other? If you glued the pieces together
all the way around, removing them could be difficult, if not
impossible. If that's the case, then perhaps foam is how you should
go.

However, if you could get them apart, I would still use some type of
blocking system, either the full octogon I suggested earlier or maybe
just some blocks on 4 sides of the pole.