Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Great Stuff" Ripoff

Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a ploy that's been going on all over for some time now. Check the
last 'half gallon' of ice cream you bought. its probably 1.75 quarters not 2
quarts.

The local store continues to run ads that say 'Half Gallon" and I told the
manager he better tell the marketing department to cut it out before someone
takes them to court over it!

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller
than the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new
are 12oz.
If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

What's new. When I was a kid in the 50's they were doing it with the
candy bars. They still do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Here in Canada, paint used to be sold in Imperial gallons, the standard
gallon used in Canada before metric took over. An imperial gallon was 160
fluid ounces compared to the US gallon of 132 fluid ounces.

When everything was converted to metric the paint companies switched to cans
of 4 litres, much smaller than the previous cans and the price went up.

Now they all sell paint in US gallon cans despite the fact that they are
supposed to sell it in metric measurements. They get around it by adding in
small print that the can contains 3.95 litres, and the price went up.

You can't win.

"Mark" wrote in message
That's a ploy that's been going on all over for some time now. Check the
last 'half gallon' of ice cream you bought. its probably 1.75 quarters not
2 quarts.

The local store continues to run ads that say 'Half Gallon" and I told the
manager he better tell the marketing department to cut it out before
someone takes them to court over it!

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:

Now they all sell paint in US gallon cans despite the fact that they are
supposed to sell it in metric measurements. They get around it by adding in
small print that the can contains 3.95 litres, and the price went up.

I'd be delighted if the "gallon" cans of paint sold here in the US contained
3.95 liters... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I'd be delighted if the "gallon" cans of paint sold here in the US
contained
3.95 liters... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.

Colored or tint base? I know the tint base allows room for the added tint
to bring it up to a full gallon.

At least a pound can of coffee is still 13 ounces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.

That would be a small gallon.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

At least a pound can of coffee is still 13 ounces.

ROTFLMAO!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:16:04 -0500, Buck Turgidson wrote:

Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

Not a corporate conspiracy. Great Stuff has always come in two sizes, and
the smaller size is 12oz.

Nothing for everybody to get worked up about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Funny how small a "pound" of coffee is these days, too.

What's the dang difference? I'll pay what they want for a pound of coffee.
Now with all these different prices and weights makes it almost impossible
to understand unless they have the tags that say 45.6 cents per ounce, etc.
Other than that, you need to be a mathematician or take a calculator with
you to find out which costs what per unit of weight.

And what's up with the 750 ml size of liquor bottles?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Buck Turgidson wrote:
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

They sell 12 _and_ 16 oz cans.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

And what's up with the 750 ml size of liquor bottles?

Alcohol in the US used to be sold in 1/5 of a gallon bottles known as "fifths".
Duh. 750ml is a rough metric equivilent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FYI: A US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

--
Steve Barker

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
.. An imperial gallon was 160
fluid ounces compared to the US gallon of 132 fluid ounces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Similarly, I've been buying my personal checking account checks from
"Checks In The Mail" for at least 15 years. There were always five books
of checks per box, with 40 checks in ech book.

The last order I got had five books per box but with only 30 checks per
book.

I called up and bitched about there being no notice given that the
number of checks per box had decreased by 25% since my previous order.
The customer service guy gave me a $10.00 refund on the two boxes I'd
bought. A check for $10 from them arrived "in the mail" about a week later.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karl S" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:16:04 -0500, Buck Turgidson wrote:

Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

Not a corporate conspiracy. Great Stuff has always come in two sizes, and
the smaller size is 12oz.

Nothing for everybody to get worked up about.

you're just trying to spoil the fun...lol

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I'd be delighted if the "gallon" cans of paint sold here in the US
contained
3.95 liters... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.

Colored or tint base? I know the tint base allows room for the added
tint to bring it up to a full gallon.

At least a pound can of coffee is still 13 ounces.

I add enough water to bring it up to 16 ounces. Makes a swell drink.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:38:51 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

That's a ploy that's been going on all over for some time now. Check the
last 'half gallon' of ice cream you bought. its probably 1.75 quarters not 2
quarts.

And candy bars get smaller and smaller until there is one big price
increase. I think they think people wouldn't like it if the price of
candy went up frequently.

The local store continues to run ads that say 'Half Gallon" and I told the
manager he better tell the marketing department to cut it out before someone
takes them to court over it!

There's a disclaimer in all those flyers and ads that might be hard to
overcome. "Not responsible for errors...." Still, if you have
notified them and kept a record of their being notified....

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some
drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than
the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I
understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little
"tricky" to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" writes:
FYI: A US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

Yeah, but that's not very useful for comparing the size of gallons
because the USA uses a different fluid oz than the rest of the world.

If you just look at the number of ounces in a gallon (128 vs. 160), you
would think that a US gallon is 4/5 the size of a Canadian/Imperial
gallon. But the actual ratio is almost exactly 5/6.

I spent many hours in my youth mixing photo chemicals from Kodak with
mixing directions in US ounces and gallons using bottles and measuring
tools marked in Imperial measure. We just converted everything to
metric to simplify the task.

Dave